Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

networking between XP & WIN 98 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

martiros

Technical User
Feb 1, 2003
US
Hi,
I just recently installed wireless D-Link router and USB cards/adapters for my 3 PCs - 1 laptop w/Win XP & 2 desktops w/Win 98.
I can find see laptop from either Win 98 PC but can't find/see my desktops from XP laptop.

When I turn my desktops on there is no prompt for network logon.
In Network Coniguration applet under the list of network adapters Primery Network Logon is Microsoft Family Logon.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Release and renew the IP on all 3?

How about the network ID? Is it the same on all 3?

Just a thought.

Thanks for answering.

What is network ID? Where do I find it?

Right click network neighbourhood. Goto properties, and add "client for microsoft networks". Allow it to install (have your 98 cd ready) and restart your computer. You will then get a network login prompt, if you have no password, just hit enter. Insure the TCP/IP and IPX protocols are installed. (again under properties from network neighbourhood) You should also check the tcp/ip and ipx prots are bound to the network adapter (under bindings) once all this is set up you should be able to see your laptop from your 98 machines, under nework neighbourhood (dbl left clicking it)
Hope this helps.

/Sib
programmer in the making
e-mail: siberdude@ntlworld.com

Siberd,
thank you for taking time to answer.
I checked and found that Client for Microsoft Networks is installed and, as I wrote in my initial message, I can see my laptop from both Win 98 desktops.
My desktops are invisible for laptop though.

I have 2 TCP/IP components installed: D-Link wireless USB Adapter & Dial-Up Adapter
No IPX protocols - what do I need them for & where to find them?
What is the difference in choosing Primary Network Logon between Microsoft Family Logon & Client for Microsoft Networks ?

Try loading NetBuei protocol on all pc's. Don't know if this will help.

Hello again,
The IPX protocols work similarly to the IP, its just a differant standard. I have a multi-platform network runnin here, and installing both seemed to allow the differant platforms to be visable to each other.
To install them, goto the network settings, and click add (on xp too)
The client for microsoft networks instructions the computer it will be part of a network from logon. Microsoft hadn't anticipated home users would be using networks at this stage, hence why networking under 98 was something normally reserved for those in the know, and a bit cumbersome even then.
You might also want to check the workgroups are the same.
If you still can't see the machines, try searching for them, using the "find people or computers" section of search/find. Also ensure you have at least one folder on each system set to shared.
Hope this helps further.

/Sib
programmer in the making
e-mail: siberdude@ntlworld.com

Use Client for Microsoft Networks as the primary login for all the computers. Are you sharing drives or folders on the 98 machines? All the IP addresses should be on the same subnet, they probably are if you are using DHCP from the router. Can you ping from the laptop to the desktops and vice versa? If you can ping, then the connections are fine.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Thanks all.
rockerfellerz,
How do I ping?
What do I need to type?

To use ping open a dos box and type:
ping ****.****.****.****
where you insert the ip address of the comp. for the *'s i.e.
192.168.2.25 or something similar. To find the ip on the 98 comp type winipcfg at the prompt. It will return the info for your nic card. Ping sends a series of packets to the ip and waits for a response. It will say request times out if there is a problem. Usefull to see if TCP/IP is configured properly on all the computers.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back