Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

networking applications 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamichel

Technical User
Aug 9, 2003
US
I am in the process of establishing a wireless home network between a desktop and a laptop for file/printer/internet sharing. Is there any method I can use to run programs that are installed on the desktop from the laptop. In most cases the EULA will allow programs to be installed on both, but due to disk space restrictions on the laptop I'd prefer not to install the software but would rather run it remotely.

Both systems are Win98SE and the wireless connection will be Netgear.

Thanks...George

For something like that, you'll want to look into remote client software like Citrix. Citrix acts as a gateway that allow access to the desktop of another PC. It works great over a 100MBps LAN.

Unless the application supports networking, Citrix (or other similar software) may be the only answer aside from installing the software on both PC's.

I guess Netmeeting would also work too, but probably a little less efficient and slower. But then again, it's free!

Thanks for the input, I downloaded NetMeeting and will try it out when I get the wireless network in place...

George

If you set your network up to use mapped drives, you can run anything that's on the other machine. The mapped drive is a logical link between one machine and the other. When you run an app that is on another machine, the app is loaded over the network and runs on your machine and uses your machines resources. So, if the other machine has 1 gig of memory and your's has 128 Mb, and the app barely runs on the other machine, don't expect it to run on yours.

Note: Make sure that the drive that has Windows directory is "mapped" before attempting to use an app on another mapped drive. Also, when using apps on a mapped drive, don't expect to get anything done in a hurry. Any commands or functions that aren't loaded into memory must be passed through the network to the application's origin.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

And, thanks again for help. The wireless network is up and running after a few false starts configuring Network Neighborhood {'read the book' applies to me here}. File and printer sharing working, ran an install program that was on the laptop in a shared folder from the desktop and it worked seamlessly. Going to try mapping drives next...

Thanks again, George

tviman,
How does a mapped drive allow you to "network" an application? Most apps require each PC to have DLL files and registry entries. So, you would be faced with installing the app on each "networked" PC to get those registry entries and system files properly installed and registered. Of course, you could share one directory when asked where you want to install it. However, that won't work with many apps that use INI files. Plus, that would seem to defeat the purpose of what I think he's trying to accomplish.

The only answer I know of is to simulate the use of the other PC over your network connection.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back