Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking Access 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeroanarchy

Technical User
Jun 11, 2001
AU
About to start writting an access database for a network which will be running on more that 7machines has anyone one done this before and if so what are the draw backs with using an access database on multiple machines if any.

Thanks

Up to 25 users there will be no problem (provided that your application is rock solid: error trapping, especially for lock errors, optimized queries and database design...).

Does that mean u can have several different people accessing the same data at the same time. or is there restrictions on how many can access the same data

Francescina means this:

to provide concurrent access to records by multiple users, Access locks records. In a multiuser environment you can open recordsets in one of 3 different ways.
I) No locks
II) Edited record
III) All records

It is up to you to decide which Locking Strategy is best for your situation, but you MUST be able to handle the lock errors, etc.

There is a lot of source available on net about this topic

Good Luck

Just one remark:

ACCESS (2K) allways locks a minimum of 4 kB (thanks Unicode) inside the current table.

This means that only in the case if one record needs 4 kB (should be extremely rare) ACCESS will lock one single record.

I have a system I originally built in 2.0 and it has gone thru transformations till its current home in 2000. The biggest things to remember are:
1> ALways,Always backup (if the network burps...)
2> If possible split your data tables off and run the front end on the pc.
3> Schedule downtime to regularly review for errors.

Mine has been running since '97 with over 100 registered users though at most 20 or so logged in at once. It also links to other database types.

Just take your time and do it right the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back