Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking 40 plus connections with max bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam110501

Technical User
Sep 9, 2007
US
I have a higher than average knowledge of home networking but I am by no means an expert. I recently moved into a 3 level building with 40 or so people. The house was previously wired to a closet with 2 24-port 3com 3300 switches. I purchased a broadband connection for $275/month that should provide each person a 5mb download/2mb upload speed. Each switch is connected to the same Linksys wrt54gs router running dd-wrt and that router connects to the WAN. There is a wireless signal but it's not very strong through the rooms. On floor 3 I have a linksys wrt54g with dd-wrt set up as a WDS. All the computers are networked and can connect to the wireless in most areas or can directly wire to the host router. The only problem is the bandwidths on almost all the connections is nowhere near what we're paying for. Is the problem the switches or the router? What hardware would be ideal for this set-up. I would like all wired connections to be 100mbps.

You are getting 5mb/2mb connection that is shared, that isnt per user .... especially not for 300 bucks a month.

Is there anything I can do to increase the speed even if it is shared? Can a linksys handle 40 connections funneling into it?

Of course it can handle 40 plus connections.

To insure that the Cat5e links are working properly check the terminations and cables and patch cords for any defectives.

Are all the links showing 100mbps indication?

On the wireless side, the physical structure can and will affect the radio signal! Since placement can be critical to get a good signal and thruput, you may need to add a WAP or two. Also the wireless speed will only be as fast as the slowest devices connected wirelessly.

....JIM....

So if I replaced the linksys wrt54gs (host router) with a D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Wireless Router, wireless aside, would that increase the speed of the wired connections?

Basically your problem is lack of bandwidth. I assume this is some type of college housing or such? One computer using P2P file sharing can cripple that connection.

adam110501,

You have 40 USERS on a Linksys wrt54gs router - this is a home or very small office router and I did not think it would handle that many users. OF COURSE It will handle them :) but I think you are seeing why it is a home or small office router :-(

It is just not designed for that many users!

Why do I say this, it is a $70 router and Cisco's $600 router (871W) is only listed for 20 users -

From Cisco reseller -

Cisco 870 Series of integrated services routers are fixed-configuration routers that support multiple
types of DSL technologies, broadband cable, and Metro Ethernet connections in small offices..........

Number of Users Supported: 20

Cisco 871W Router - Your Price: $611.99

I think with 40 USERS on 3 floors you need to move up from the $75 home routers like Linksys and D-Link to the higher end routers by Cisco, Linksys, D-Link Zytell etc.

Just some thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

For the cloud connection I agree with CiscoGuy33, but you can throw all the money you want at routers and still not get what you want, IF the physical layer, ie: cables, jacks, patch cords, etc. are not performing to spec!!

Those cables, etc. can be the biggest limiting factor in network performance. This should be done FIRST. Then look at routers, once the physical layer is taken care of...

Also don't forget the NICs, those go bad too!

....JIM....

SYQUEST,

I agree - check the wires and the infastructure FIRST!

It just smacked me hard when he said he wants to connect 40 users with a "home" router :)

I helped a guy with a business and 32 users - he had a 4 port Linksys router and 4 8 port Linksys switches and 32 users that USED the Internet VERY MUCH !!

This was several years ago and we replaced what he had with a Cisco 2621mx router and 2 Cisco 2950 switches. Cost him some bucks $$$$$ but he was trying to solve a BUSINESS NEED with a HOME SOLUTION! I will not even go into the security improvement with the Cisco firewall IOS on the router :)

Just some thoughts!

E.A. Broda

With the 2 switches I have if I added a Cisco 2621mx router or something similar will that improve my situation? I've been looking at some used ones online. Will the higher end Cisco routers still have the DHCP support?

adam110501,

As SYQUEST says you need to check the physical layer (wires and connections) first.

As for moving to a "used" Cisco 2621mx - this may or may not help you - there is a HUGE learning curve with dealing with Cisco routers :-( and YES they can do DHCP but it is not an "out of the box" solution :-( unless you have a lot of background with Cisco equipment.

You might be better off looking at a "new" Cisco 871W (wireless) or better such as a Cisco 1811 etc. but from a Cisco reseller who can answer questions and pair you with the right piece of equipment to do what you are looking for as well as TECH SUPPORT !!!!

With 40 users it seems you could spread the cost of the equipment you need to do this right!

Not quite sure what the arrangment is here and why you are setting up a network for 40 users, but if you try to move to the type of equipment you need you will need some additional help to setup and configure this equipment!

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back