Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking 2 PC's. 1w/ XP Home other w/XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesse45

Technical User
May 15, 2002
US
First off, TIA for any help!

Here's the deal...

I have an old Dell, about 6 years old, upgraded graphics card, 2 HD's, only a P2 477 processor running XP Pro.(I think the first version...)

Newest comp is one I built running a Celeron 1.70G processor and running on XP Home. (Mother board and chip came really cheap that's why the Celeron)

I added a D-Link DI-604 router. The internet on both work just fine. Ran the Network setup per instructions from D-Link and MS on both comps. Made sure the File&Print sharing thing was checked.

Both comps set-up the network for "themselves" but I can't find the other comp!

Looked in the shared folders comp and looked under "workgroups" and can see the one that is set up for the comp I'm on. But not the other one.

I made special care as to not name anything the same except the workgroup name.

I'm stumped! I've done about all the looking I can do on the net and they all have the same set-up and that it should work. Alas, "It don't work for me".

Any suggestions? I sure would be grateful!

Main reason for the whole thing is just to move files off the old one to the new and to format the old one and start that one over again.

Thanks!

Thanks linney. So far I can get the XP Pro machine to see the one running Home, but not the other way. I've shut down all firewalls and ran the Network Setup several times. Changed every permission I could find!

The links were very helpful in getting the Pro machine to see the Home one. Thanks! Guess I'll plod along and try and get the Home one to network. If not, I'll format and Put Pro on that machine and see if that helps.

Thanks again.

Some antivirus software have a hidden firewall component built into them too.

You shouldn't have to shutdown firewalls but rather configure them to allow your LAN subnet address to have access.

You can try mapping a drive to the other computer by using the other computers name and the drive letter.....(i.e) \\computername\C$....the dollar sign is for a hidden shared drive. Or you can try browsing to it if it finds any other computers. You can try this on either computer to go to the other. To map a drive, right click on My Computer or Network Neighborhood and click on Map a Network Drive.

~~Calling technical support is a sign of weakness.~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back