Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking 2 computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wezzzz

Technical User
Jun 23, 2004
GB
Hi guys

I am fairly new to networking and have ran into a couple of problems already, I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction.

I have recently bought a new Laptop and want to network it to my main pc via a crossover Ethernet cable. My main Pc is running Windows Xp Home and the laptop is runing Xp Pro. The problem I have is.... when I enable my Ethernet card I am able to share folders and ping both machines (which is great) but I loose my Internet connection. Then when I disable the Ethernet card, My Internet connection comes back to the main pc. But I loose the network and am unable to ping either computer.
Both Machines have the windows firewall disabled and are running Zone Alarm, I have added both computers to the WORKGROUP but can't understand why I can only have either (the Internet working or the network) but not both together.
Ideally I want to have file sharing and Internet sharing on both Pc's

Any advice will be great

Thanks in advance

Wez

Well, my first question would be, did you enable Internet Connection Sharing on the PC connected to the internet? And what type of connection is it, dial-up or broadband? Without a router/switch, this will be the best way to connect 2 PCs together and have a 3rd connection out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back