Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networker using ssh

Status
Not open for further replies.

shal

Technical User
Jun 11, 2002
AU
Hi,

Does anyone have a how-to doco to set this up? We currently use v6-> utilising rsh, and I'd like to opt for the usage of ssh v2 protocol. I'm aware of the overhead this will give, encryption/decryption will definately add to a backup's duration. It shouldn't degrade times for bootstrap backups much.. I'm hoping to test and evaluate this solution a bit more.

Any help will be very much appreciated. Better get back to my searches.

Thanks in advance,
Shal Halka
Unix Administrator

shal_halka@hotmail.com

Sorry,
but I didn't understood what you really want to do with ssh and networker.
It isn't a problem to install and configure ssh.
But in which way do you want to interact with networker.

Pls give a little bit more information.

Cheerio

I do not have any actual experience with this, but I can imagine that a setup with a private ssh-key at the server and a public key at the client might work.
May be you should use keys without a pass-phrase.
The tricky part is to get networker to use ssh instead of rsh.
You might try to fool networker bij replacing the original rsh by ssh in networker's environment. But rsh and ssh are not syntax compatible, so this might easely fail. May be it is worth a try.
However this will only secure the remote command interface between server and client, but not the data streams generated by the client.
So I think a secure VPN (IPsec) on top of the normal (insecure) network is a better idea. But well, that's another problem.

If you like to tunnel the networker traffic through a firewall with ssh you have quite a lot to do.
The rsh call is directly coded into the networker binary, so there is no way to tell networker to use ssh instead. The above suggestion to replace might work if you write a wrapper script for ssh.
The next you have to set up, would be tunneling for the networker ports to get the data traffic crypted. But be aware - you have to use some hundreds of ports, depending on the number of clients the networker server is backing up. There is no way to restrict the ports for one client :-(
If you manage to do that, I would be very glad to hear about because we are currently seeking for a similar solution.

Happy coding

Johanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back