Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetWorker server shows tapes are full?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishmoon

Vendor
Apr 8, 2003
US
Running NetWorker server 6.2 on Win2K attached to a SAN with a Compaq MSL5052 SDLT Tape Library. (also attached to the SAN) We labled about 15 Tapes and then started our backups. In the morning it showed all the tapes were full? One tape had 198GB, but the rest were anywhere from 21MB to 400 - 500MB? They were all listed as full and we had to load more tapes?
Any ideas - would be great!
Thanks

Hi,
could happen by a Tapedrive-problem. NW starts writing but will mark the cartridge full, when it gets an I/O error. To continue the backupjob, the next cartridge of the pool will be mounted. The same game happens to this cartridge by I/O error. Until all cartridges of this pool are used.

good luck
alfred

Hi

I have seen it before on both StorageTek and Compaq/HP libraries. It is a pain, and the tape usage can be extreme and expensive.
The I/O (SCSI/FC) error can happen for several reasons:

If you have switches or hubs in your SAN setup, you might have a device which sends a SCSI reset or other command that "confuses" your library or SCSI/FC router. If you have switches, you might consider zoning so that you isolate your backup server(s) and the library.

The library might need another firmware. There are bugs in several of the firmware, and the newest might not be the best. You might also look at other firmware's in your SAN.

I hope this can help you a little. Other you can try posting some more information about your set up.

Best regards
Michael

Thank you for the Help - I appreciate it!

We seamed to have fixed that! I am not sure what happened!

Another quick question! Does anyone know where to find the latest patches? We need the latest patch for our Exchange module and I cant find it on ftp.legato.com?
It is 3.1.0.80 I think?

Thanks

The latest version of Exchange module on the CD media kit is
Where did you see the information about 3.1.0.80 ?

In the eKnowledgebase on Legato's website. I found some info on the problem I am having and that is one of the fix's. Maybe I need to go back and re-check! :)

Thanks

the actual one is 3.1.0.82

ftp://ftp.legato.com/outgoing/NMExch_31_82/

I hope it is still there. Be fast.

cyberted

There is nothing in ftp.legato.com/outgoing/
too late...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back