Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

networker in san(storage area network)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspreet101

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2005
US
hi,

I have networker (network) edition 7.2 with EMC san.i have a fc tape library.i can zone my tape library with networker server as well as networker clients.(ie tape library can be seen by networker server as well as networker clients).

now my question is

When networker clients fires backup,where the data will flow from ? is it through LAN or SAN ?

thanks
jaspreet

it depends on the client resource configuration. By default is using the LAN. If you can backup using the Storage Node (the client itself) you must configure the client resource to add the client as nsrserver. I don't remember the exact field name but search for the default value "nsrserver", and add the client itself.

Cheers.

The client parameter is called "storage node" and it shall contain a list, executed top down, which storage node will be used. The last entry should be "nsrserverhost" which is an alias for the NW server.

Remember though, to do so through Storage Nodes will require DDS license per tape device and a Dedicated Storage Node license.

Please correct me if I am mistaken.

hi,
thanks for the replies. i know that storage nodes or networker server can only send data to the storage device, but i was going through one article (backup to the disk on SAN). it says starting networker 6.1 (network and power edition) all clients have access to storage device on SAN
and it can send data through SAN instaed of LAN

so i was confused.

Do not forget that remote storage nodes NW will use the LAN to update the index info which is stored at the NW server.

Once you've setup your SAN, you've actually provided tape drives to all the machines on the SAN. This means that each of the machine knows that it has its own tape drive, even though the drives on a library are just shared. You just sort out the sharing through zoning and the Networker server. Since each machine can back-up to its own drive, it has to be configured as a storage node. As a storage node, it has the capability to backup to its own drive its own data and data of other backup clients.

With this setup, each machine backs up through the SAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back