Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networker Client Upgrade Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyt1513

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2002
US
I recently upgraded my Legato Networker 5.5 to 6.0.3 and it went good. I am now upgrading my clients to 6.0.3 one at a time because it was backing up OK as is. My first NT client can connect to the Solaris 2.6 Backup server with the Networker Administrator Executable. But the Networker User executable does not connect. Also my backup failed on this one server last night. I did specifiy the server during the upgrade.

Thanks,

Mike

I can now run backups from the User with the NetworkUser Executable, but I cannot start backups from the server.

Thanks,

Mike

nx2 is the only one I am concerned with, nx_is was off the network

Part of Email notification:

NetWorker Savegroup: (alert) Default completed, 6 client(s) (nx2, nx_is Failed)

* nx2:All 4 retries attempted
* nx2:All Connection refused

* nx_is:All 4 retries attempted
* nx_is:All Connection timed out

Underneath I also noticed this:

* nx1:REGISTRY:\ Warning: unsynchronized client clock detected
nx1: REGISTRY:\ level=incr, 6.9 MB 00:00:40 8 files
nx1: REPAIRDISK:\ level=incr, 1.5 MB 01:29:45 13 files
BackupSrv: index:nx1 level=9, 156 MB 00:00:23 197 files

BackupSrv: index:nx2 level=9, 55 KB 00:00:02 9 files

I also have one client that allows me to back up every drive except one. I can run the backup from the client like nx2, but the server skips the E: drive. That was happening before the upgrade. But for some reason the server backs up some of this machine and one other client that I upgraded properly. So far I have upgraded 3 machines. One works perfect, the other (nx2) doesn't work unless I start it from the client. I had to add the -s <servername> in the properties for the networkeruser icon to connect to the server, if I did not it was looking at itself as the server, like it didnt see any servers out there. The other one nx3 was upgraded from 5.5 to 6.03 also and it backs up every drive except one. At first I thought backupsrv did not see the client but it must because it allows the client to backup and attempts to connect to back it up.

Thanks,

Mike

Correctly filed hosts file on both server and client ?

Greetings, André

Andre,

I went ahead and upgraded two more clients one worked and one did not work. None of them had entries in the hosts file. The Server hosts file has always been OK. This was all after the upgrade, prior they all worked with WINS. We are in an NT environment. After the up grade one worked with WINS and two didnt. I edited the hosts and lmhosts file and the two other work. So your fix worked, but I am still somewhat confused because some work without the entry.

But it all works, and if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Mike

Maybe some of the clients have reverse lookups on the DNS server and some don't. We run Networker 6.0.1 on a Solaris 8 server and had strange name resoultion problems after upgrading to a new server. Finally had to add clients to our etc/hosts files that were not there pre-upgrade. Also had the DNS server admin add reverse lookups for some of our clients.
Try nslookup 10.0.0.0 or whatever is a client IP address. If it returns the host name, then the DNS server is reverse resolving the name. If not, try adding a reverse lookup for the client and its IP address on the DNS server.

The recommendation from Legato on this, and I've seen this work, is to populate the host files on both the client and the server, and not rely on DNS. Also, when you configure the client, use the Fully Qualified Domain Name and not the short name. The idea is to force NT to use the host file as opposed to LMhosts or WINS. Hope this helps.

Lasteve,

thanks you are right,

I figured that out playing around with it.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back