Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networker client on bootable cd? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteWiz

MIS
Jan 29, 2001
CA
has anyone successfully added a networker client to a bootable "live" cd such as Knoppix (linux) or BartPe/WinPe (WinXp)?
I have tried unsuccessfully with BartPe.

This would save a lot of time during disaster recovery as a parellel O/S doesn't need to be loaded before restoring the system.

Hi,

I make plugin to Bart PE (WinXP "live" CD) based on info from 911cd forum. After some "tuning" ;-) it works great. I created 2 variants :

- minimal command line client similar to ASR client (NSREXECD, RECOVER and libraries) - about 1.8 MB on CD

- complete with Networker User, Admin etc. - about 10.5 MB on CD

based on NW 7.1.2

If you are interested in it, i wil put it somwhere on web site.

Next challenge for me will be Linux (Knoppix ?) version :p

Milanvo! you are awesome. Of course i am interested.

> If you are interested in it, i wil put it somwhere on web site.

I am very interested in that URL also...!!

Thx!

Martin

Before use this plugin, you should be familiar with Bart PE - Windows LiveCD builder (great software !) :

Here is link to plugin download :

Instructions for use are included in archive. It is "testing release", so let me know if anything not work as expected [peace]

Anything similar available in the Unix world?

Thanks!

Ok, seems to work good. For DR you need to first add the PC name to the list of clients on the legato server. Use the machine name from the ipconfig screen and not the name from the BgInfo desktop. Somehow they are different on my machine.

this stuff looks great!!. good job. my question is for the actual DR part. if serverX is down exactly how would you use winworker user to reload the entire server from backup, including system and reg files if the name of the PE machine is different?

Good point. Probably better to change the name of the Bartpe PC to the name of the machine you are trying to restore. The other question that i have to test is how well Legato deals with open operating system files. I expect using the ShadowCopy features of Win2003 that all the O/S files are backed up nicely but what about Win2000? WinNt? I will be testing this out completely but i have other pressing projects. Someone else want to test and report their findings?

I will be testing these various OS's. i am new to BartPE (since i read this thread and thought how cool this might be). do you have a good resource on where to look to set a static machine name in PE? when you change it in the network plugin it still doesn't change the name after veiwing the ipconfig hostname. it generates random mininit-XXXXX names. i understand why it does this but i want to be able to set a static name.

Hi Guy's.

Did someone had success with a Disaster-Recover of Windows2000 and Bart-PE?
The Recover and all works fine without any error, but after an reboot the system complains that there are some file missing in order to work correct and i should repair the system with a Windows-Installdisk and press Repair.
Did someone maybe had the same problem or anything similar.
Maybe someone also know's how to make a Disaster-Recover with Windows2003 and Bart-PE. There's the Problem that VSS-System Savesets are unrecoverable. Only Driveletter "C:" is possible to recover with windows2003.

Any help would be appreciated.
many thanks in advance and
kind regard's

BTW: The nu2nu.org forum didn't work so i posted here.

The Error seems to be about missing Registry-Hive Files

After Restore of "System Files" go to: '[Windir]\System32\config' and delete the tailing "_nsr" from all Files

This is because Networker thinks it restores a real running Windows and could not restore the Registry-Hives. They would be renamed on next reboot, which fails in the case that you restored under BartPE

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back