Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetWorker 7.2.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinux

Technical User
Sep 21, 2004
ZA
HI

I have installed NetWorker 7.2.1 on a Redhat Enterprise Linux 3/update5 Server. Attached is one Windows,Linux and Netware server.

Windows and Linux servers backup just fine.
The Netware server however doesn't backup when innitiating a backup from the Backup server, a Manual backup from the Netware server does however work. (I have checked the Remote username/password, and is deffinately correct.
Also my Neware networkr console is Blank. Displaying only the Server/Client name and time, the rest is blank.

I had the same issues with Networker 7.1.3.
I am running Networkr 4.22 on Netware.

I have also tried the patches and changes as described in a previous post :
- install LGTpa37227 patch – it is new nsrilb.nlm for NetWare client,
- install LGTpa75442 and LGTpa75831 patches – they are so called jumbo patch for NW Server (include ansrd, nsrclone, nsrd, nsrmmd, nsrstage,
- in the same time with Legato jumbo patch install Novell tsa5up18,
- install LGTpa67534 patch – it is networkr.nlm and rcmdsrv.nlm for NeWare Client,
- if you still do have problems, install LGTpa71574 patch – it is another nsrlib.nlm for NetWare.

If you have NetWare 6.5 with SPs or without them, you should use tsafs.nlm instead tsa600.nlm.
NetWorker ncf file (networkr.ncf) should like this:
search add SYS:\NSR\BIN

# SYS:SYSTEM\NETWORKER.NCF
#
# For starting up NetWorker for Netware
unload tsafs.nlm
load tsafs /nocachingmode
load lgshim
load rpcxdr
load nsrlib
load rcmdsrv
load networkr -s networker_server

All this was done, but I have had no luck.
I have logged a Call with our Legato bussiness partner also with no luck as to yet.
Any help advise would be much appreciated.
Regards
H

Have you set the environment variable NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X?
This needs to be set to 1 on NetWorker 7.1.3 backupservers and higher. Hope it helps!

Cheers!
Maverick

Sorry forgot to mention: Yes i did set the NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X=1 environment variable
Still no luck
Cheers
H

This is the output of my daemon.log..

09/01/05 11:35:19 nsrmmd #1: Start nsrmmd #1, with PID 5104, at HOST bacdev-lnx
09/01/05 11:35:37 nsrd: Support for Netware clients is enabled.
09/01/05 14:25:17 nsrd: savegroup info: starting Full (with 1 client(s))
* nwu-nov:SYS: nsrexec: authtype rsh
* nwu-nov:SYS: No 'NSR client' resource for client nwu-nov
* nwu-nov:SYS: Cannot retrieve client resources for nwu-nov on bacdev-lnx
Backup nwu-nov: failed.

Hostname resolution + reverse lookups from both backup server and Client work 100%.

I havent looked at the link you've sent me, will do so just now.

Ah, ok, the "Cannot retrieve client resources for.." error message is usually a result of cached info that is no longer valid. Give this a try.

1) Stop NetWorker on the backup server
2) Delete the contents of the ..\nsr\tmp folder
on the backup server
3) Start NetWorker again
4) Run nsrim -X and nsrck -F on the backup server
5) Try the backup again

Cheers!
Maverick

Both the Backup Server and client are new Servers.
I deleted the /nsr/tmp contents stop/start etc...as you mentioned.
Still, I get the same error.
Also I still have the "Blank" Screen on my Netware Networkr Console.
Anything else you can think of?
Cheers
H

There are two known problems to my knowledge:
- the first on is related to nsrlib.nlm which will not load at all due to a duplicate variable name.
But you say that you can see the GUI although it is empty.

- The other one again refers to the variable NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X=1
Could it be that simple that somebody forgot to export it?
And do not forget to restart the NW server after changing it!

Yes I can see the "GUI" on the Netware Client, but it is blank. You see only the Server Name and time.

I have checked again and the NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X=1 variable has been set correctly echo $NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X as well as "env" confirms that.
Yes I restarted the NW server after all changes.

I see that if I install Networker 7.1.2.... It works fine.
But from 7.1.3 and up I have this problem. It seems that Legato changed something in the way it communicates to Netware clients from 7.1.3. I probably canload 7.1.2 if all else fails, but what happens if I need to upgrade from there. Legato should come up with a solution for this.
Anymore ideas?

Cheers
H

I have struggled a lot to make some sense of the problem I am experiencing with my Netware Client 4.22 and Networker Server 7.2.1.

I completely removed (on the Backup Server) 7.2.1 and loaded 7.1.2.
7.1.2 Works fine, you see what you need to, and backup what you need to.

I then removed 7.1.2 loaded 7.1.3 and it stopped working (the netware clients). Every time checking that my NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X=1 environment variable is set.

Next, I removed everything again, deleting the nsr dir. as well as removing the lgto* rpms.
I loaded 7.1.2, checked if it was working.... and it was.

I then did an "rpm" upgrade to 7.2.1 ( they do not do it like this in the docs, they remove the old..., keep the nsr dir,....and install the new.(I agree with this method, by the way)).
After doing the upgrade the Networker Service "broke". (The Networker service was removed and not replaced)
I started the nsrd and nsrexed daemons manually and then tested to see if the Netware console still remained blank..... It wasn't. I started a Backup and it worked fine.
I then removed everything again, installed 7.2.1 from scratch... and the Netware console was blank again.
I then started playing around with the NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X=1 environment variable.
After placing it in the Networker service script.. I tested the Netware client again and it worked.....

When you add it to the service script it works, but when you add it as an global environment variable( env or NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X=1 /export NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X=1) it doesn't work.
It might be that I am stupid in interpreting "set the NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X=1 environment variable"

I started a couple of Full Backups on the Netware Client now and everything looks fine

Thanks for your input and help!!

Regards
H

I would be interested if you ever checked your variables with "env" or did you just trust your commands?

I did check the viarables with env.

And with env it displayed my variable as I have set it.
you can test it with " echo " as well
But that is just the thing....
When you set the Environment variable globally automatically at system startup in /etc/profile or manually
NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X=1
export NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X=1 The Networker Service doesnt seem to take note of it( It has no effect)

If you set it however in the /etc/init.d/networker script.
It works fine.
You then dont see it then with "env" because env displays your global environment variables.
Still it is strange that Networker didnt pick-up my global environment variable. But I did Test it most definately more then once.
Regards
H

Have you set the enviromnet variable NSR_SUPPORT_NETWARE_4X=1 ?

I run Legato 7.2 on a windows box and 4.22 on Netware and faced the same issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back