Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networker 7.2.1 unix Client Does not remember the Configured Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnut2980

Programmer
Sep 28, 2006
US
Hi ,
On Networker Client 7.2.1 ( HPUX & Linux ), when I configure my client I hit the "Change Server" button and specify the server details. After a couple of times this value changes back to some other networker server in the network. Is there some place where I can specify the same so that the client can remember the server.

Please advise.

Thanks & Regards,
Walnut

No. However, if you start the program you may add "-s servername", for example "nwbackup -s servername &".

have you entered the networker server into the /nsr/res/servers file ??

Yep, entered the server name in the /nsr/res/servers file. and restarted nsrexecd... still after a few launches it reverts back to some other server.

To my knowledge it should take the first server in the servers file as default. I believe that if it can't attach to that it makes a broadcast and uses the first server that responds. You can always override this by specifying the sever name when you start the GUI with the -s parameter as already suggested.

/nsr/res/servers contains a list of those NW nodes (usually NW servers) your client listener (nsrexecd) will accept when receiving NW remote procedure calls.

It does not have anything to do with the client software (like save, recover, nwadmin, nsradmin, nwbackup & nwrecover).

I have been receiving this error message for one year on 4 Legato for 5 Windows' based Oracle client. Now the oracle instances shutdown on the client, but Networker reports the error below:
client:D:\oracle\oradata
*client:D:\oracle\oradata C:\>net stop "OracleServiceCISDEV19"
* client:D:\oracle\oradata The OracleServiceCISDEV19 service is stopping........
* client:D:\oracle\oradata The OracleServiceCISDEV19 service could not be stopped.
How can I resolve this error? I already increase the inactivity time out period to 100, and it still does not work.

Any solution is welcome.

Thank you,

Hi Robinfo,

please use a new thread next time. Problem info should be isolated.

About your problem:
It is obvious that the service can not be stopped. But this in general is not a NetWorker problem. NW only initiates the shutdown, the hosts executes it using the standard OS commands in the pre-/post-backup scripts.

Consequently, it is most obvious that you can not even do this manually at the client. And this is what you have to investigate.

Hi,

Here is the list of how a server is selected when -s is omitted.

When a server is not explicitly specified, the operation commands use the following steps to locate one.
The first server found is used.
1) The local machine is examined to see if it is a NetWorker server. If it is, then it is used.
2) The machine where the current directory is actually located is examined to see if it is a NetWorker
server. If it is, then it is used.
3) The machine specified with the ?c option is examined to see if it is a NetWorker server. If it is, then
it is used.
4) The list of trusted NetWorker servers is obtained from the local machine’s nsrexecd(1m). Each
machine on the list is examined to see if it is a NetWorker server. The first machine determined to be
a NetWorker server is used.
5) A broadcast request is issued. The first NetWorker server to respond to the request is used.
6) If a NetWorker server still has not been found, then the local machine is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back