Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networker 7.1.4 recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug1ct

Technical User
Nov 17, 2004
GB
I know the normal recovery process, i.e full + incrementals to the nominated restore date, but I have a system that is struggling.
I have 3 X filesystems that = 0.5 terabytes (200gb + 200gb + 100gb), to restore a 200gb filesystem to my standby server takes days.
The scenario I have is we want to do a software(application) upgrade restore the entire system to standby server, test & validate prior to upgrading live server.
This all has to take place within 5 days.
Problem, I cannot recovery the system within 5 days, a full backup takes just over 24 hours, I have compressasm, on server or it takes even longer.
I thought a possible solution might be to recover full backups to standby server during normal working time and then just apply incrementals to keep servers in sync.
Question, is there any way( i.e command line) to force just the incremental backup to restore on top of the existing full restore already on the standby server.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sure, you can use a save set recover. Have a look at recover in the command reference. Basically, you tell what SSID you want to recover.

Rif123
Thanks for your reply, however I am trying to restore from a live server to a standby server and saveset recovers require source & destination to be the same.
Any other ideas would be gratefully received.
Doug

Why does a 200GB restore take days? what hardware/network do you have, paper & pencils :-D

Can give us some more info. on infrastructure? I am assuming it is old as TBs are backed up easily these days.

Hi,

no you can still use save set recover. It doesn't have to be the same source and destination. What you might need is to add the credentials you are using on the destination host on the source host's client resource remote access field though.

You start recover from your destination host and specify the ssid you want to recover with -S. If you like you can also redirect the restore with the -d option.

Thank you all for your help.
The system I run is pretty ancient, L700, 4X DLT's, this server + about 40 others.
However I was misinterpreting the recover cmd for saveset recovers, thinking that if I called it from the standby server I would have to use the -c option to state which client wrote the data & -c cannot be used with -S, whereas in practice it just restores the ssid without a problem.
Many thanks Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back