Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networked vm, um question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DueE

Technical User
Jan 29, 2002
US
We are moving an existing BCM400 to a new corporate site and it will become the host site for networked voicemail for five branch offices that have BCM200's. When you are networking voicemail, do the individual sites have to purchase unified message and fax auth codes to access those applications through the networked voicemail?

DueE

I've never understood why companys want all there Vmail on one BCM as each BCM has there own Vmail. If that one BCM hard drive crashes, you lose all Vmial. I had 60 BCM's in a network and I would never do that.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

From the service standpoint it doesn't make good sense but I believe this customer has a dominate ego person in the IT dept.

DueE

All the keycodes will reside on the Host BCM, but you will need an MCDN keycode for each remote site.

Agree with Ace, bad plan. No one can use Ftr 986 at remotes.

Thank you for your response. This network is already up and running and they are adding a new location that is to be the "new" centralized location and adding UM for remote users, so the UM addition brought up the question. On the centralized vm, this networked group likes to use the Group lists for messaging to sent out one message rather that dialing to all branches individually. Could they do that if they didn't use centralized vm?

Thanks again

DueE

I agree, the vm networking install guide reads like it would be a hassle and lots of programming!

DueE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back