Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

networked printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattb7

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
US
Ok, I have 5 windows 2k pc's, one of which has the printer hooked up to it. All the computers can print to it with no problem. However when you restart a couple of them, they are no longer connected to the printer. You have to go into my network places and double click on the computer that has the printer, and log onto it from there. Is there any way to make them connect to each other without having to do that? The other strange thing is that it doesnt happen on all computers. They are all set up exactly the same, and connected through a hub. I dont mind having to log them back in, but they are in a school and the teachers call me every time they can't print.

Change your phone number. ;-) No, seriously, exactly how are you making the connection? Are you right clicking on the shared printer and choosing "Connect"? Try doing the Add Printer wizard, selecting Next, then Network, then "Type the printer name...", Next, then navigate to the printer and adding it that way.

I wish i could change my number, but they pay the cell phone bill :) . Anyway, the printer is installed, however after a reboot when you go into the printers folder and highlight the printer it says that you dont have access to it. Then when you go into my network places and open up the computer that has the printer attached you have to enter the username and password. It will then open that computers shared files and the printer will be ready to use.

on the print server: enable/install IIS, share the printer & give it a share name

then, you should be able to install the printer locally to each machine & then change the port for the printer (on each of the clients) to the unc for the shared printer

\\server_name\printer_share_name

- Tim S.
A+, Net + certified
MCSA in training

have you seen this thread?

thread616-482440 - Tim S.
A+, Net + certified
MCSA in training

MstrGone, the printer is set up and shared correctly to each pc, it is just after a reboot that the pc doesnt automatically reconnect to the others. I gues it is more of a network thing thatn a printer thing but you really only notice it with the printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back