Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networked, but can't see in Network neighborhood...? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkzy

Technical User
May 20, 2001
US
Hi. I have two computers running WinMe. My problem is that Computer A can see Computer B in Network Places and Computer B can't see Computer A. The interesting part is that Computer B can find Computer A if I search for Computer A via Find Computer. What's happening?

Thanks, Jeff

What protocals are running? Using NetBEUI on small networks should solve your problem. (or run it with TCPIP)

It can be a matter of time, keep refreshing the network neighborhood view and it may just pop up of it's own accord.

It can help if you use the search tool, as you have done, then check network neighborhood again. If you can't get it to work with TCP/IP, give NetBEUI a go, it's a good protocol for small peer to peer networks that you want to keep simple.

It might be as simple as Computer A don't have file and printer sharing service set up.

You need to have File and Print sharing running for your computer to appear in network neighborhood.

I recently administered a network of 25 PCs running Win 98, and some PCs can see others in "Network Neighborhood" and others can see only some. I seems to vary from PC to PC.

To make life easier, I just named all the PCs so they could connect using \\psmith\c method.

On all PC's did you enable FILE and PRINT SHARING? This could be the cause. Also ensure EVERY PC has a folder to share then attempt to connect to that share. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

No offense but if I were you I would toss Windows ME and never look back. I've had to help several friends degrade from Windows ME to Windows 98.

Go to Win2K Pro or XP when it comes out. The 9x code base should not ever touch any decent hardware. Toss it just as MS itself is doing.
Jeff

I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Yes Win ME has issues, I agree dont use it. But Windows 98 SE is the most stable Win9x OS MS has done. Win98SE is one of the better home based OS's out there. Sure Win2K is soo much more stable, but it also has more over head than Win98. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

How are your computers connected?
What protocols are you running?

If you have a network card which allows multiple protocol use and auto-detection, it is often better to disable all other protocols and have only the nominated one running.

It may also help to set the "LM Announce" (Lan Manager Announce) option value to "YES", located in Network Neighbourhood / Configuration / Installed Network Components list / File and Printer Sharing (! not the button !) / properties.

You could also try creating a Hosts file on the computers.

Hugh Stewart
IT Support / Analyst

James, I disagree. I have a fairly low end 200Mhz K6 system with 256MB of RAM. I can dual boot it between Win98 and Win2K (each is on a separate hard disk). From what I can see Win2K is at least as fast as Win98. The key is to have a lot of RAM, but RAM is dirt cheap these days. Win2K costs a little more up front, but the saved support time makes up for that in a hurry. Even a home user's time is worth something.
Jeff

I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

I have to aggree with MasterRacker on the w2k issue. I have it installed on a moderate system (celeron 366 with 96 Mb of ram) and it works better than I had expected.

Sitting in front of me (I am at work) is the book for w2k server. On the side of it or the minimum specifications, all it needs is a pentium class 133Mhz processor or better and at least 256Mb of ram. The only problem with w2k is that it doesn't support the range of software and hardware that win 98 SE does. I am planning on building a new system based on w2k.
Troy Williams B.Eng.
fenris@hotmail.com

Hej Funkzy,
I had same problem two years ago and found solution.Infact whole planet have that problem.There are various explanations:
1.Network neig. supports only 15000 systems(whatever it is) and netbeui uses up to 30000.
2.Problem is with browsing master election.You know by default all computers has browsing master on automatic .So what should you do?Set one comp to be brws mstr
enabled and the other disabled.When boths are posible masters ther is lot's of electing traffic in netbeui that causes elections to be delayed endlessly.That's reason i took as real one.When you have more computers you should
set one to enabled,one or two to automatic and all the others to disabled.This solved my problem on more than five locations.Also like Piperhugh told set LM ann. to YES.IT is option for Lan Manager systems but it helps in this case
(or just people like to beleive in that).Any way i'm sure that with all this combinations you must successed cause i did like lot's of other people.

Yet another answer, I recently had a similar problem, and the solution was incorrect subnet masks. One computer was set to 192.168.0.1 255.255.0.0 and the other to 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0 . Different subnets! I changed masks to be the same and all was revealed!

Took a while to find, but very obvious when you think about it.

Win2K, Yes with more is very smooth and nearly as good as Win98. But Win2K does require more RAM because of the system services at start up. A default install of win2K before loading and programs can take between 32-40 meg of RAM. MUCH more than Win98 uses on startup (About 16 meg). When you factor in Antivirus and anyother program that inputs itself as a startup SERVICE you can easily start using 60+meg of RAM and nned the swap file a lot more. With 96,128,256 meg of RAM you see a lot less swapfile use until you open multiple probrams. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

I just faced this problem yesterday,i solved it by changing the domains of both PC's (both were win 2K) and creating a common ID user on both,it worked well)

If you have correct subnet settings (the same on all machines) and f&p sharing,make sure you have netbios over tcp/ip checked in the advanced section of TCP/IP properties.

I've also found a solution to this problem as it may be quite simple. Are you sure that you are loggin in to both computers, ie picking OK when promted on startup. If you pick cancel or are using windows logon the network connection does not always get established for Network Neighborhood, yet the internet connection for both pc's will still work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back