Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network works, but icons don't show up in network hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

parani

Programmer
Nov 2, 2006
IN
Hey,
I have set up a small win2k authenticate server and about 8 or 9 win98 clients..... Everything is working smoothly for the majority of the clients except for 2 of 'em.....
The 2 computers eventhough from "winipcfg" it looks like they get an ip from the server, and other computers can ping them, their icons don't show up in the network nighborhood. So the printers that are attached to those computers can not be used as network printers because no one sees the 2 pcs on the network......
I double checked the seetings between the 2 and the rest of the clients and they are identical.
Has anybody experienced something like this?
Please help

I am experiencing similar things with a 20 client win2kserver network. If you get a solution, please let me know. thanx!

As soon as I figure it out or someone helps me out....
I'll let you know
-----

Is file and print sharing enabled on the 98 machines that aren't working? Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

yes, but they are not the ones that are sharing the printers. And it's random on which machines see the server, and when.

Check the names of the pc's you can't see. If there to long, 98 won't see them. I had network printers installed and had them shared, but the printers who had a share name over 10 characters the 98 machines couldn's see them. The 2000 machines saw them fine. Had me baffled until I realized the printers the 98 machines could see had shorter share names. Might not be the same thing, but it's worth looking at. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"You cannot create experience. You must undergo it."
Albert Camus (1913-1960); French writer and philosopher

Thanx for the reply, All machines are 98se accept the server. 2 printers are named HPDJ and LEX. I don't think that is the problem because these 98 pc's that have trouble randomly, can't see their shared folder on the server either at that time.

Can you open a browser and manually type the name in. I've seen this before. No icon but if I go to a browser and type \\servername\sharedfolder, it just shows up. Don't know why, but I know it works. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"You cannot create experience. You must undergo it."
Albert Camus (1913-1960); French writer and philosopher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back