Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network with static IPs refuses to connect to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperDoc

Technical User
Apr 11, 2002
US
I have a network (WIN 2K server) ten WIN XP Pro clients
in a dentist office running apractice management software and epop messaging. the sytem was etup with static IPs.

I setup Internet thru a switch. Linksys router, moedm to cable. It worked fine for a week and then hung.
If I change clients to "Automatic IP" they get the Internet but will not run the denatl software. If I leave
static IP dental software woks, Internet won't conncet.
I verified cable modem with Comcast, swapped Router, switch. Nothingmakes sense because IT WAS WORKING for a week. I have a feeling the WIN 2K server is blocking something.

I'm missingsomething... What???

Any ideas would be appreciated. I was there 9 hours yesterday!!

What static address ranges are you using?
You cannot overlap any DHCP (from router) assigned address space.

Try disabling the DHCP server on the Linksys router, rebooting the router, and trying again.

In addition, consider faq779-4625
Your Winsock stack in the registry could well be half finished on the client side given what you have done.

bcastner

Thank you....

I'll bet I have a DCHP overlap situation...
If so I recall that I should change the router to another range as I am cautious about changing 10 workstations running applications software.

When I tried to change the router settings I didn't reboot it. Shame on me I should know better... problem with working late at night :)

If I run the winsockfix I assume I should do it on the server... Yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back