Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network-winxp & win98se cant see each other 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ockerb

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
Hi everyone, I have 3 computers in my house all connected to a hub. 2 run on 98se and the other runs on winxp pro.My problem is the xp computer cant see the 98se computers and visa versa. The 2 98se computers see each other fine. I ran the network wizard in xp, disabled the ics firewall and shared the drives i wanted shared, still no luck.I dont wish to tie this forum up with my problem so if anyone can link me to a good network help site i'll get out of your hair and get on with solving my problem. Thanks for your time.

Assuming no internet connection, if the following setup is used for ANY windows (95, 98, ME, NT, 2k, XP) - networking should work for file & printer sharing. DO NOT USE M$ wizards, apply all settings manually.

All machines should have:-

Client for Microsoft Networks
TCP/IP protocol only
Same workgroup name on all machines
File (& printer if needed) sharing.

Each machine should have unique name and unique IP address in the same range. There are 3 ranges reserved for private networks like this and most commonly used is 192.168.0.1-254 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0.

Once this is all set up, share at least one resource (drive, folder or printer) on each machine. Ignore admin shares (eg C$) on NT/2k/XP & set up your own.

All should now be visible on the network.

Different versions of windows have different ways of setting up network details - so you need to become familiar with network properties for operating systems you use. is a very good site for this as it has screenshots from the various windows network properties functions.

There is a further complication accessing 2k & NT machines (& XP with simplified sharing disabled) from 9x/ME. You need to set up an account on the NT/2k machine with same user id/password as you log onto win9x/ME machine.

When there is an internet connection & sharing of that, there's usually some form of DHCP server involved (either machine with ICS installed or router), so IP addresses are then allocated automatically and client machines should be set up accordingly (ie, to pick up IP address autimatically).

Hi,

I have a similar problem...

I have a network of two XP boxes running through a linksys router, and sharing a cable B'band connection via the WAN port on the Linksys.

I'm trying to network my IBM ThinkPad 760EL into the network, which is running win98se.

After running the network wizard under XP, the setup runs fine on the laptop, but although it can see the workgroup (same name as XP group), it can only see itself on it.

One particular point of interest, I note that WOLLUF mentions "If you have no ip address or it shows one starting 169...".

RUning winipcfg on the win98 laptop, it does indeed have an IP starting 169.xxxxxx etc.

When I try and ping it from my XP box, Zone Alarm fires, asking if I want to let the Ping App access the internet - from this I assume that tis IP range is normally used for Internet purposes?

All machines are set up to automatically get IP's.

After having run the XP Wizard, the WINIPCFG data from the 98 box is as follows:

IP Autoconfig Address: 169.254.213.18
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: <BLANK>

The IPCONFIG data from the XP box is...

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

I must admit to being a bit of a N00B at this, so any help offered would be greatly apreciated! :)

My thanks in advance...

cb101, first does device manager show any problems with the network card? If no, are you sure the cable is good?

Hi Smah - thanks for the responce! :)

I used the laptop at my last job, and it was set up (with a fair bit of fiddling) to run on the network there.

I have a feeling that there may well just be something still set up looking for this old network, unfortunately it's been over a year since I last used 98, and I cant remember where all the network settings etc are!

Device manager shows no alerts, though it does insist on listnig the NIC (D-Link DFE-650) twice, though it also did this when I used it at work.

As for the cable, I ran a multimeter through each of the pins, and confirmed a) that the cable isnt faulty, and b) that it is actually a &quot;straight through&quot; cable, as required by the router.

Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated! :)

Well, you probably have a Network Neighborhood icon on your desktop. Right click on it and select properties - that's were everything is.

When having trouble networking a '98 computer that was once on a different network, I've had to remove all the networking components, reboot and reinstall the network manually. It's a little extreme, but at least you'll be starting clean. From there, you can check some of the links posted above to reinstall all the networking components.

Thanx Smah,

Ive gone one further than that - reformated the entire machine!

Of course now I have to think of a way of reinstalling w98SE from CD, whilst booting from the floppy (Apparently TB 760's cant boot from the CD drive!), whilst only having one bay to put two drives in! lol

Strewth, this is going from bad to worse! lol

If anyone has any ideas, or wants to refute the Think Pads inability to boot from the CD drive (PLEASE???! ;) ), any responces would be great...

You must ensure &quot;Netbios over tcip/ip&quot; is enabled on all machines.

This should fix any issues with Xp / 98 / 95 machines seeing each other when only using tcpip protocol.

The only problem that you have is the network configuration, work hard about that, the people helping you is rigth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back