Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFO

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2004
US
Network virus???

Here is the situation, I’ve unit that when I plug into my network it eats up all the bandwidth that no one can surf the net. When I unplug, everyone’s able to surf the net.
I’ve run Norton, Stinger, Sasser fix tools but didn’t find anything. Other symptoms are when I reboot the system, Norton can’t auto enabled and can’t access the Norton web site.
Many thanks in advance

It sounds like you have something like netsky or mydoom on you that computer, it will flood your router out with traffic. You might want to check the symantec site on things about them and how to remove them.

FaiTHLeSS,

I believe I need to check that one also, I did manage to delete the viruses but I am still having issues bandwidth.

I may be way off base here, but I have seen a very similar condition caused by both bad ethernet cable and a bad NIC (actually the wire contacts in the connector). Without a doubt, check the virii possibilities, but if you don't find anything, it might be worth a hardware check.

Good point! Smah,

Intermittent error is what’s killing me. It seems to happen when I reboot the system and the system can’t enable the Norton Auto protection, once I enable the auto protection manually I am okay. As of now I’ve spent too much time on this unit I am installing new HD and trouble shoot this later but many thanks for your input and I will let you know once I get this system going with new HD. In an away I hope it is the hardware, I haven’t had unit that I couldn’t eliminate the virus/worm issue.

I am not done trouble shooting so if you have any suggestions please post it. THANK YOU

Found it! It was Trojan.boxed.D virus. Here is how I didn’t it. I’ve disconnect the infected hard drive to other system (clean system) as secondary drive and scanned it and it found two Trojan.boxed.D and the system works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back