Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igaduma

Technical User
Nov 23, 2001
BE
Hi all,

I got an ultra 10 running as fileserver at 100fdx with an external discpack, i'm using samba 2.2.2 and standard NT4 sp6 clients, drivemapping name-to-ip resolution is done via /winnt/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file
All goes well for a few minutes, cpu at 80%, iostat looking ok, no blocking, vmstat seems clean and top seems to report heavy, but acceptable usage & load.
Note that i'm ftping with 5 clients, all at 100fdx.
Then all of sudden *all* network activity stops and the machine can't even be ping-d on the same subnet.
Then the weirdest thing happens:
I type snoop to check the network packets and whatdaya know, the machine comes up again and continues file-serving over ftp & samba goes back on-line.

what the heck is wrong ?

btw, router is configured at 100fdx & so is the machine, not using autoneg.

please help.....i'm silently dying here, went live with oracle db & application, now bottleneck is this problem...each time the disk stops grinding, i type snoop and all continues....

Anyone ??
<insert begging sound here>

What do you see when you do the iostat, vmstat , etc when the system seems to lockup (as opposed to BEFORE it happens)? You might want to check the output of ipcs and netstat -af inet.

Well, i whish I could, but since last night I copied all static files to each client's local disk and that problem has gone away.

Only serving now &quot;prediction-files&quot; which are dynamic. Seems to be OK now, asked network guys to *confirm* to me everything is at 100FDX. Maybe they reconfigured some ports that where running at half on the router.
Currently it's serving +- 15 people who generate 100k & 500k files each 5-10 seconds (GSMsite simulation application) without any trouble or glitch.
Disabled the wins server that was configured in samba & did a reboot.
Previously I installed it and didn't reboot...couldn't cycle inet, had to continue running like that. Maybe that did it...
Also, the errors seemed to be on socket 4 & socket 12.
I disabled those in /etc/inet.d/services & protocols.
Dunno if that cured it.

L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back