Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevieboy

MIS
May 20, 2001
GB
Hi all.We have a basic class C network sitting behind a firewall.The vast majority of PC's on our LAN have 10/100 Mb NIC's but a few only support the slower speed.The whole network appears to be running at 10 Mb/sec.Can anyone tell me how the speed of the LAN is determined and what i can do to force it to run at the faster speed.We have a couple of hubs which are a bit old now,they are ExpressSwitch Hub's (FHSW-2602A).Despite their age they appear to support the faster speed.Thanks for reading.Hope you can help...
Steve

just a thought..

you can achieve 100mbps if your hubs can support such speed. but if you plan to buy new hubs, you have to consider first the size and complexity of your network...you might want to buy a switch instead.

eugene

Yes mate i quite agree.We are looking into switches at the moment.We will probably replace what we have with 3com Super Stacks.Thanks for your reply...

Steve.

This post looks pretty old, but I am going to post a reply anyway.

Hubs are a very super simple device. They cant handle multiple PCs doing different speeds. So if one PC on your network goes to 10Mbps, then that forces everything on the LAN to go to 10Mbps as well. The only way to get a faster speed is either buy a switch (which can handle different data speeds) or upgrade everything on your entire LAN to 100Mbps.

In other words, when you are using hubs, the whole network negotiates to the slowest speed on the LAN. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shnypr-small.gif

tech@shnypr.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back