Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network speed negociations...CONFUSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFRobishow

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
CA
Hi everyone,

Well I've posted regarding this problem before. The original thread is here if you feel it has info pertinent to my question.

I've been having problem with my modem as some of you know...I've missed my apointment with my ISP technician and been living with the problem since as when I could get a connection I needed almost never to close it until today.

I've decided investigating Stureeves' answer to my OP.

"If your router / NIC are set to Auto Negotiate, Check that the Modem is. If they are fixed e.g 100/full so should your modem.
If they are set to Auto, try changing to fixed (modem first!)
In theory if theres a mis match they should go down to a common denominator e.g 100/half or 10/half. But sometimes they sulk and just close down."

Now I've found this setting for my NIC and setting it to 10/Full will give me connectivity right away...however it will often drop for no apparent reason...Stu mentioned that I should check the modem setting now I have no idea how to do that.

Previous setting on the NIC was set to Auto negociate, which always worked just find before...did something go wrong with my modem?

You may be able to find something in your modem documentation about what it is set to. Usually cable/DSL modems will be capable of no more than 10/Full since the broadband connection is no faster than 10 Mbps.

There should be basically five options, Auto-negotiate, 10/half, 10/full, 100/half, or 100/full. Typically if a device is capable of one setting, it is also capable of all lower settings (i.e., a 10/full device can also communicate at 10/half, and 100/full device can communicate at all four speeds). You could try each one to see what works.

I would also suggest changing out your patch cables (on the off chance that you have a bad cable), and making sure that they are securely plugged into the RJ45 jacks.

When you lose your internet connection, are you still able to connect to your modem? Typically the modem is your default gateway and has an address like 192.168.0.1. If you can ping the modem while your internet connection is down, then the problem probably isn't your PC.

Does everything work normally when your modem is plugged directly into your PC (bypassing the router)? Perhaps there's something odd going on with the providers DHCP that jumbles your router.

Hi kmcferrin,

Actually I bypassed the router and I'm connected directly to my modem right now. My connection is working ok now with my NIC set to Full Autonegociate, but it's taking forever to get the LAN link on my modem to light up which I assume means the negociation succeeded.

My modem doesn't have an address that I can connect to, my default gateway is my outside IP which start with 156.xxx.xxx.xxx perhaps I would need the port to connect to but that isn't available to me. As I've said the Comtrend CT-301 is from my ISP and was made for them by Comtrend...hence no manual. There is however a serial port behind it.

I've looked for my router setting and I can't find the setting to change the options to go 10/full, etc. It's a wireless Linksys WRT54G...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back