Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Slowdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2002
US
Hi

I am having trouble with some network slowdown. I am using a Dell PowerEdge with a 16port switch. I have having terrible network slowndown when connecting to the server form the clients. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Timothy Sayles

Are you using DNS, WINS? What operating system are your clients using? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

I am using a internal DNS on the server. Dns server is 10.4.99.2 (server IP address), have gateway and router set to 10.4.99.1, which is the DSL router.

No Wins being used. All clients are Windows XP Pro.

Thank you!

Has this always been the case, or did it just start? Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
Voltaire -born Francois-Marie Arouet- (1694-1778); French writer.

Only happens when I am trying to load a network app. Email, file serving, no slowdown. This is a new server install about 1 month old.

Tim

Are your clients using DHCP, if so, make sure the DHCP server broadcast the DNS setting pointing to the server instead of to the router itself.

server IP 10.4.99.2

ipconfig shows:

default gateway: 10.4.99.1
dhcp server: 10.4.99.2
dns server: 10.4.99.2

Check your DNS and AD --> Computer if the client's computer show up in the list. Another way to test your DNS Setting and AD is disjoint one of your client's computer from Domain and rejoining it back. After disjoining the client make sure remove the computer name in AD and DNS setting.

Yes, all working like a charm. I wonder if it could be a defective switch or something?

This smells suspciously like a DNS issue. Review your event viewer to see if that sheds any light. Do you see all your client machines in the DNS cache? Also I have had luck stoping then starting the DNS service. Uninstalling DNS then reinstalling it. Use ipconfig /displaydns to view your dns cache. See if your clients are there. Then you can flush the cache and watch DNS add the clients. You can use nslookup domainname then the ip of the DNS server this can show if DNS is functioning. Also do nslookup from one of the hosts. These are things I have just done as I had a similiar problem. After I got DNS up and running properly the slow log on issue went away. As did the application and redirection errors. Just suggestions.

Just a thought, if your NIC is half-duplexing, this could slow you down as well. Check your adapter settings, make sure your "full speed and wide open". (100meg Full duplex. I usually like to manually set the speed and duplex instead of using auto negotiating. However, in doing this, also make sure your switch port is also set to 100meg Full Duplex. If the switch is not managed, once you manually force the connection on the server, unplug the cable from the switch, then re-attach allowing the switch to re-configure it's self.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back