Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Site Goes Weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin59

MIS
Dec 3, 2002
US
Help... I have a friend in charge of a fairly large NT4 domain, 7 servers, 60 users. He is really an AS400 guy, so I was working with him on the network and we have a really weird case. Say they're are 3 separate sites. PDC is at Site1, along with Proxy, Mail, etc.. Other two sites have separate servers. All sites communicate via VPN through satellite connection with local ISP. We can ping each radio reciever, get good statics back. Unfortunately each PC has DNS set for ISP, but the site uses WINS, not DNS, so...

Problem: We replace server at Site2 with a brand new one, and everything went to heck in a basket. So, we replaced inactive hub, NIC wires, everything. Network will run fine for 4 or 5 hours, then go slow for a few hours, no ryme or reason as to why. We don't have a fluke meter, but the ISP owner came in with his laptop and watched packets (nothing bad happened at this time, the network behaved).

Has anyone had anything similiar to this happen to them? Replicating problem? Brousing problem? We've turned off all DHCP (the net is static), turned off FTP, HTTP, etc... we do have one AS400, and various dump stations, and that AS400 server is static also.

As always, your advise is wholeheartedly welcomed, and we thank you.

Rob, (I am the friend), I see that this is a pretty "hard" question. Matbe no one has the time to tackle this now?

Install one DNS server and set all clients to use it as the primary and use the ISP DNS as a secondary. Keep your WINS configuration as is and use it concurrently. Also, configure the forwarders on your new DNS server to point to both ISP DNS servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back