Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Shutting down Automatically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinl

Programmer
Mar 19, 2001
US
Hello,
I recently set up a Redhat 7.2 box on my network for one of hte web servers. Every morning when I come into work the web server is down. I mean, its viewable from within the network, but not from outside the network. So when I try to view it from the net, it doesnt respond.

But if i reboot the machine, it works just fine. No changes, just a reboot.

I checked the cron.daily folder and there seems to be nothing out of the ordinary installed files...

What could it be? How would it loose connectivity every night? And a reboot solves it?

Thanx,
kinl

do you have to use a reboot? How about simply running /etc/init.d/network restart, would that fix it?
What do you have in /var/log/messages concerning the network?
Also, when you say it is down, is the interface eth* still up? It sounds
like some kind of dhcp issue.

I'm not familiar with the logs that much. What would constitute as a network message? The only thing that happens that I notice is that on a daily cron job this service is restarted :"syslogd" . I dont know what it does, but its restarted and I noticed that in the messages file.

THe only thing the messages file looks like its holding is all the info fromwhen I've rebooted a couple of times.

Is there any service that basically checks to see if anyone is using it? And if the service has not been used in some time to disable it? IS there something that does that maybe?

Thanx for the help.

Kinl

OH yes, also, we are not using DHCP, this server has a static IP.

syslogd is the daemon that controls what is being logged on your system. It uses the /etc/syslog.conf file.

When the web server isn't viewable from outside the network, can the web server itself get outside on the internet? Try to ping tek-tips.com the next time this happens. Maybe you are losing your gateway?

ChrisP

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If somebody helps you, please click the link in the botton left hand corner that says "Mark this post as a helpful/expert post".

Yeah, weird thing...

Usually the server goes down around 4 am (or at least I think), and I set up a web page that pinged the server (from my house) last night, and it would ping the box every 60 seconds, and append it to a file. Therefore I could see what time I lost connectivity.

IT NEVER WENT DOWN.

Is there some type of file in somewhere that states "if inactive for XXX time, then shut down interfact ethX"?

As for reaching the outside network when the problem occurs.... NO. I cannot hit the internet at all.

thanx,

The next time it happens, check your gateway with the 'route' command.

ChrisP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If somebody helps you, please click the link in the botton left hand corner that says "Mark this post as a helpful/expert post".

I'll do that. Thank you.

What should I look for? when this happens though? With the route command?

thanx

use netstat -nr, you're looking for the default route for 0.0.0.0
mine would be

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 40 0 0 eth0
135.74.136.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 40 0 0 eth1
127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 40 0 0 lo
0.0.0.0 135.74.136.1 0.0.0.0 UG 40 0 0 eth1

so 135.74.136.1 is my gateway. BTW, don't try to ping this, it's firewalled

Status
Not open for further replies.