Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Sharing Problems between two computers. Very weird...

Status
Not open for further replies.

springy2003

Instructor
Jan 30, 2003
GB
Hi, I have never in my life experienced this problem before.
2 weeks ago, I formatted my computer, and prior to this was hocked up with another computer on a network via a router. So the router address was 192.168.0.1, and the two computers are 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3.

Now, the formatted computer, I managed to hock it back onto the network and was able to share files from the other computer. Well, until today...

Now the formatted computer, in this case I am going to call ComputerOne refuses to go into the work space that I have made called, HOME. It keeps saying that it cannot be assessable at this time. It isn't a firewall problem, since I disabled it and it doesn't work, and also try pinging the other computer, which I am going to call ComputerTwo, and it says, "Destination host unreachable", which is weird since this means that the destination doesn't exists, but it does.

Also, I tried an experiment. I restarted ComputerOne and as soon as the windows was loading, in ComputerTwo I quickly tried to see if I could see ComputerOne. And in this case, I was able to see it, and so I tried to copy files to it. It was working, but as soon as ComputerOne caught up and loaded everything, suddenly the connection was lost, and ComputerTwo cannot see ComputerOne any more, as in the path was not found.

There is something wrong with ComputerOne setup. I mean there is something telling ComputerOne not to share and I have no idea what it is.
Again, Windows Firewall is disable, and I am using ZoneAlarm Firewall, which is the firewall I am using on ComputerTwo, so that shouldn't be the issue, and it is all configured to allow access via certain IP address on the network.

Also, on ComputerOne, when you click on network places, you usually will display your local share folders on the screen. This does not happen. When I click on workgroup on the side, so to bring up all the workspaces available, in my case HOME, this was not able to be accessed as well, giving an error message that it is unavailable at this time. What is going on. I have spent 5 hours trying to solve this with the help of google, but there is no such article on the net that helps me, since my network was working.. and suddenly doesn't anymore..

Thanks in advance...

OK, mistake number one: Never assume something isn't the problem.

Your idea that Zonealarm can't be interfering since it's installed on both workstations is not quite right. Settings can get changed or quit working for one reason or another. Simply disable Zonealarm completely on both workstations (or better yet, uninstall it until you've solved the problem). I can't tell you how many weird situations I've been in with that program.

Also, instead of pinging the computer name of the opposite computer, try pinging its IP address.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

OK, sorry, I wasn't clear

The two things you said above was the first thing I tried. I shutdown both Zonealarms, and also ping the ip addresses. I Ping them first since I will definitely know if I am getting the right station without needing to actual resolve the address first. Sorry I didn't list them above, since I spent 5 hours trying to get this working, and tried a number of basic things. I ran out of basic things that I could do, thats why I am stuck...

I also disable windows firewall via the network connection.

Watch for "hidden" firewalls. Antivirus software can contain a hidden firewall; PC-Cillan is notorious for this; VPN client software can contain a firewall; CISCO VPN Client is notorious for this.

If you cannot ping it is a firewall issue; or a physical plant issue (network adapter, cables, router port, router); or a logical routing issue -- there is no route to the computer being pinged or no route back.

Try releasing and renewing the ip address of each pc (if they are assigned by DHCP). Also try recyclying the power on all pc and the router. Restart the router, then the pc's. Does this work?

If not, then take each pc out of the workgroup and then add it back in. Again you may need to reboot.

Right ok. I know my anti-virus do not have a firewall, so that isnt the problem. Also, as I have stated above, each network devices, e.g. LAN/WIFI both have an individual option for windows firewall... This has been disable.

Second. The reason why it cannot ping is because the ComputerOne thinks that the location doesn't exist. When you ping, there are 3 different type of error message you may get. A time out, or cannot resolve distination and one more whcih I forgotten. I got the second one. This indicate that ComputerOne could not what so ever even see any other computer on the network. If it was able to see it and a firewall was in the way, then a request time out error would be present. So it isn't a firewall issue, since there is nothing blocking it. The computer just cannot see it.

I try renewing the IP address already. Again, another thing that I thought of already, with no luck :(

Also, I did change the network name from "Home" to "MSHome". But the problem is lying in ComputerOne. When you click on "My Network Place", even if you are disconnected from the network or anything, it should still show the local share folders. My Windows XP does not show this. Also, if you click on the workstation icon on the left to view all available work station, even if you cannot connect to another computer, your Network Place, in my case "Home" should still be displayed and show only my computer in that network. Again this does not happen. All I get is my computer hanging for a few minutes and a error message as follows...

"Home is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administractor of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"

There is an adminstative issue somewhere and I don't know how to solve it.

Also I am on admintractive mode... just to make sure...

Thanks again for people who has helped so far. If I solve it, which at the moment still no luck, I will write here and say how I did it... lol...

I was not aware you were pinging by name as a test. Try pinging by IP address as well as name.

The Workgroup name does not matter. It is an organizational convenience and not a security feature. Windows networking happily accepts multiple Workgroups on the same network.

There are a series of steps I would appreciate you doing on both workstations. This is just to ensure that all settings required are in order on both.

Open notepad and copy/paste the below. Save as node_fix.reg :

Windows Registry Editor 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\NodeType]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters]
"NodeType"=dword:00000001

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\DhcpNodeType]

Run node_fix.reg on both machines. This ensures that both are using Broadcast as their node type.

Second, make sure that the Group Guest permissions are set to their defaults. (This has nothing to do with User Guest):
Start, Run, net user Guest /Active:Yes

Third, make sure that Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled in both cases. This setting is under Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Properties, Advanced, WINS tab. Use the middle of three radio buttons.

Fourth, download NTRIGHTS.EXE: Place the file in \Windows\System32.
You might want to copy/paste this into notepad. Save as a file fix_rights.cmd :
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

Fifth, make sure that something, anything, is shared on both computers. Folder, printer, anything.

Sixth, make sure there is no issue with the Winsock 2 service stack.

Start, Run, CMD
netsh winsock reset

Wait for a prompt that a reset is needed. Shut down the computer.

Finally, power off any modem, and your router.
Restart modem, when stable power on router.
Finally power on the workstations and test.

I get an error when running node_fix.reg:
"Cannot import c:\....\node_fix.reg: The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor."

Don't know what that is all about..

Checking the rest now

Right, bcastner. I done all that you ask of apart from the registry thingy, since it didn't work, and still got the same problem. Unable to find the host when I ping and also unable to even see my own workstation yet alone someone else workstation.

This is really getting on my nerves now...

Right, sorry for keep writing, but there is no edit button.

I was observing my little indicator showing me when there is data passing in and out of my computer. When I try to ping the router, i.e. 192.168.0.1 there is activity and and the little symbol lights up.
When I try to ping 192.168.0.3 (which is ComputerTwo), there is no activity. Also, on my router I check the indicators and it is the exact same thing.

I therefore thought it might be a subnet mask issue, but this seems fine at 255.255.255.0 so thats ok.. hmmm

To use regedit on the file above, use the command line:

regedit node_fix.reg
Do not try to import the file within regedit.

In the alternative, just double click the file. Explorer knows how to merge the file.

Also, check the TCP/IP settings. It is easy in the case of using static IP addresses to mis-specify the IP,subnet mask, or the Gateway address. Your system acts as if it is on a different subnet than the other computer. That would explain all that you have seen.

As would a failure to Netbios broadcast.
I hope you did a powerdown cycle of the router as well. It is not at all unusual for a powerdown cycle to be required when adding "new" clients to a SOHO router.

One thing to consider if all of the above checks out okay, and a decent interval (Microsoft recommends thirty minutes) is spent to allow a Master Browser election to occur, is to use LMHOSTS. This makes unambiguous the name resolution of both machines and is emminently usable where static IPs are employed.
I would also give a hard eye to my TCP/IP internals on the newly formatted computer. Consider:
Consider doing the following:

Step #1: Clean registry enties:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and then click Delete:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
4. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

Note: Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys. Doing so causes the Windows XP operating system to create new shell entries for those two keys. If you do not restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys, the next step does not work correctly.

Step 2: Re-Install TCP/IP
1. Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
2. Click Install.
3. Click Protocol, and then click Add.
4. Click Have Disk.
5. Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
6. On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.

If Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) does not appear, follow these steps:a. Click Start, and then click Search.
b. In the Search Companion pane, click More advanced options.
c. Click to select the following three check boxes:• Search system folders
• Search hidden files and folders
• Search subfolders

d. In the All or part of the file name box, type nettcpip.inf, and then click Search.
e. In the results pane, right-click Nettcpip.inf, and then click Install.

7. Restart the computer.

Ok, done the above, but still doesn't work. I reinstall TCP/IP and it didn't work. Again, try pinging and doesnt work.

I try runnign that regedit node_fix.reg and I get a different error now on both computers.

"Cannot impoer node_fix.reg: Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error".

Ok, done something with something called PathPing.
This is the results from ComputerTwo (The one where it is basically working)

Tracing route to 192.168.0.2 over a maximum of 30 hops

0 FAMILY [192.168.0.3]
1 * * *
Computing statistics for 25 seconds...
Source to Here This Node/Link
Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
0 FAMILY [192.168.0.3]
100/ 100 =100% |
1 --- 100/ 100 =100% 0/ 100 = 0% FAMILY [0.0.0.0]

Trace complete.

------------------------------------------
ComputerOne

Tracing route to 192.168.0.2 over a maximum of 30 hops

0 RICHARD [192.168.0.2]
1 Destination host unreachable.
Computing statistics for 25 seconds...
Source to Here This Node/Link
Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
0 RICHARD [192.168.0.2]
100/ 100 =100% |
1 --- 100/ 100 =100% 0/ 100 = 0% RICHARD [0.0.0.0]

Trace complete.

Don't know if that will be of any help. As you can see, Computer One as unreachable host, whilse cComputerTwo does actually see ComputerOne, but cannot connect if you see what I mean.

You have a hardware issue or a mis-specified Gateway address. In your case the Gateway should be 192.168.0.1

0 FAMILY [192.168.0.3]
1 * * * << Times out

0 RICHARD [192.168.0.2]
1 Destination host unreachable. << Errors

In neither case is your Gateway address answering a ping.

Did you try an LMHOSTS file?

----- it would look like this ------
192.168.0.2 RICHARD #PRE
192.168.0.3 FAMILY #PRE
--------------------------------------

The Lmhosts file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Etc folder on a Windows computer. There is also a sample Lmhosts file (Lmhosts.sam) in this folder you can examine for syntax. The LMHOSTS file has no file extension. Be sure to enable its use in Internet Protocol -- (TCP/IP), Properties, Advanced, WANS tab.

Finally, make the Broadcast entries manually using regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters
Set NodeType to 00000001

Create the NodeType value as DWORD if it does not exist.

Then delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters

The value DhcpNodeType with a right-click.

Erm, I find my lmhost file... I have this

-----------------

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample LMHOSTS file used by the Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to computernames
# (NetBIOS) names. Each entry should be kept on an individual line.
# The IP address should be placed in the first column followed by the
# corresponding computername. The address and the computername
# should be separated by at least one space or tab. The "#" character
# is generally used to denote the start of a comment (see the exceptions
# below).
#
# This file is compatible with Microsoft LAN Manager 2.x TCP/IP lmhosts
# files and offers the following extensions:
#
# #PRE
# #DOM:<domain>
# #INCLUDE <filename>
# #BEGIN_ALTERNATE
# #END_ALTERNATE
# \0xnn (non-printing character support)
#
# Following any entry in the file with the characters "#PRE" will cause
# the entry to be preloaded into the name cache. By default, entries are
# not preloaded, but are parsed only after dynamic name resolution fails.
#
# Following an entry with the "#DOM:<domain>" tag will associate the
# entry with the domain specified by <domain>. This affects how the
# browser and logon services behave in TCP/IP environments. To preload
# the host name associated with #DOM entry, it is necessary to also add a
# #PRE to the line. The <domain> is always preloaded although it will not
# be shown when the name cache is viewed.
#
# Specifying "#INCLUDE <filename>" will force the RFC NetBIOS (NBT)
# software to seek the specified <filename> and parse it as if it were
# local. <filename> is generally a UNC-based name, allowing a
# centralized lmhosts file to be maintained on a server.
# It is ALWAYS necessary to provide a mapping for the IP address of the
# server prior to the #INCLUDE. This mapping must use the #PRE directive.
# In addtion the share "public" in the example below must be in the
# LanManServer list of "NullSessionShares" in order for client machines to
# be able to read the lmhosts file successfully. This key is under
# \machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\lanmanserver\parameters\nullsessionshares
# in the registry. Simply add "public" to the list found there.
#
# The #BEGIN_ and #END_ALTERNATE keywords allow multiple #INCLUDE
# statements to be grouped together. Any single successful include
# will cause the group to succeed.
#
# Finally, non-printing characters can be embedded in mappings by
# first surrounding the NetBIOS name in quotations, then using the
# \0xnn notation to specify a hex value for a non-printing character.
#
# The following example illustrates all of these extensions:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino #PRE #DOM:networking #net group's DC
# 102.54.94.102 "appname \0x14" #special app server
# 102.54.94.123 popular #PRE #source server
# 102.54.94.117 localsrv #PRE #needed for the include
#
# #BEGIN_ALTERNATE
# #INCLUDE \\localsrv\public\lmhosts
# #INCLUDE \\rhino\public\lmhosts
# #END_ALTERNATE
#
# In the above example, the "appname" server contains a special
# character in its name, the "popular" and "localsrv" server names are
# preloaded, and the "rhino" server name is specified so it can be used
# to later #INCLUDE a centrally maintained lmhosts file if the "localsrv"
# system is unavailable.
#
# Note that the whole file is parsed including comments on each lookup,
# so keeping the number of comments to a minimum will improve performance.
# Therefore it is not advisable to simply add lmhosts file entries onto the
# end of this file.

-----------------------

It has no:
192.168.0.2 RICHARD #PRE
192.168.0.3 FAMILY #PRE

init. DO I have to add it in???

Also I check if the LMHOST file is enable, and it is. I have yet to try the other thingy regarding the registry.

It has no:
192.168.0.2 RICHARD #PRE
192.168.0.3 FAMILY #PRE

init. DO I have to add it in???

Also I check if the LMHOST file is enable, and it is. I have yet to try the other thingy regarding the registry.

Yes you have to manually make the entries. I apologize if I did not make that clear.
If you use LMHOSTS, you do not have to use Netbios over TCP/IP.

Argh.. sorry.. just relised what you were on about.

Ok the other files in there, I have Host, Networks, Protocols and Services. I look in there and saw no:

192.168.0.2 RICHARD #PRE
192.168.0.3 FAMILY #PRE

In there. And also about the router pathping, yes I has able to ping it successfully, and also I have use a route print as well and showed me all the things I have I print it here... I have taken out my MAC.

===========================================================================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x2 ...NA NA NA NA NA NA ...... 802.11g MiniPCI Wireless Network Adapter - Packe
t Scheduler Miniport
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2 25
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.2 25
192.168.0.2 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 25
192.168.0.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.2 25
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.2 25
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.2 1
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Persistent Routes:
None

Erm, I dont think I will touch the LMHOST. I want to stick with the default.

Oh ya, I have forgot to mention, I have both LAN and WIFI on this computer, and tried it with both, and it doesn't work, so it couldn't be a hardware failure right?

Ok, last resort, is there anyway two completely get rid of my home network on one computer and start again. Since I am sure there is something floating around disabling things on the local network. Just have no idea what. Since pinging any address work apart from my local lan network

Thanks again. Argh, you must be fed up with helping me.

Ok the other files in there, I have Host, Networks, Protocols and Services. I look in there and saw no:

192.168.0.2 RICHARD #PRE
192.168.0.3 FAMILY #PRE

In there.

Create the file using Notepad.
Be certain it does not save with a .TXT extension; if it does rename it.

Be sure it is in the right Directory.

Be sure you make the entry on both computers.

Be sure you reboot them so that the file will be read.

Ok, maybe you don't really get what I mean, but on my laptop computer, in this case RICHARD, this is my problem

untitledjz4.jpg

As you can see, my workgroup name, "Home" cannot be access by even my own computer. That means there is I think something wrong with the setup with the network itself, since it cannot even look at itself. Yes I can do \\Richard or \\192.168.0.X (X determind on my IP, I use DHCP) you can see the files, but not from "Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back