Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Shares lockup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

komputatek

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2001
US
I've been running Windows 2000 Server SP4 w/AD for a couple years. All my w/stations were Win98Se and got along fine. I just upgraded all 20 of my stations to XPpro. Now when 1-6 users access a share no problem, but when an entire class (This is at a school) access the share all of the shares lockup. I mean each user has 3-4 network drives mapped, but they all lockup. No one can access them and my server slows down. I end up rebooting the server only to have it happen again later in the day.

I get the following error in my application events:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 11/02/2004
Time: 11:46:42 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: SERVER
Description:
Windows cannot access the registry information at \\Central.myserver.org\sysvol\Central.myserver.org\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\Machine\registry.pol with (1351).

I've tried to open this file, registry.pol with poledit, but it says it's an invalid policy file. I've tried to use a backup copy, but I get the same message.

Any help is appreciated.

Verify that the share is set to maximum allowed on the sharing tab of the properties or insure the users allowed meets the estimated amount of connections at one time.
Verify the file permissions and access policies.

I hope this gives you some lead way on completing your task.

Avery Spates
aSugarBe@hotmail.com

Thanks for the tip on allowable users at a time. I'll check that. I did find that my WStime was disabled. I had done that long ago because I was always getting errors that the time server couldn't be found. I turned this back on and now things seem to be working alright. Win98 didn't care about domain time, but XP sure does!

I have this same issue occuring. I have noticed that SERVICES.EXE is maxing out the processor usage to 100% at which point a line forms at my door with people telling me that their computers don't work. I have disabled all services that I don't need running, but still this random error occurs. Today I tried logging off the server and that "seemed" to release whatever was happening, but I have tried other things in the past that have also "seemed" to work. I work in an accounting firm and only have this problem during tax season when the network has increased traffic. I thought I had fixed the issue last year, but last week it returned once and then again today.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 2/23/2005
Time: 2:41:25 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: BWBSVR
Description:
Windows cannot access the registry information at \\bwb.local\sysvol\bwb.local\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\Machine\registry.pol with (1351).

This is present in the event log after the server recovers. I suppose it could be generated because the server is maxed out and the error really doesn't have anything to do with the problem itself. The fact that SERVICES.EXE is consuming all of the CPU means that there is a service that is having an issue. Either triggered by the the error or creating the error. If I were to not touch the server when this problem occurs, it usually recovers by itself in approx 10-15 minutes. I fumbled with it today for about 10 before I logged off so I don't really know if logging off helped. Either way, I still need to fix the problem. Have you made any headway with your system? I see you left a star for aSugarBe. Did that suggestion help you? Thanks.

Q

There's a difference between "fixing the problem" and "making it work".

I finally determined that my issue was being caused by a bad NIC in one of the workstations. This was discovered only by chance, however, it was the case and my issue is now resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back