Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network shares get 'unshared' after a server reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceez

MIS
Oct 30, 2008
US
hello everyone

I have a curious Q, we have a 2003 server ent connected to a drobopro storage unit (this also happened with a lefthand san). it's connected via iscsi with MS iscsi intiator, the unit is in a vlan.

Everytime that server is rebooted the shares are no longer shared. it's been a while and we rarely reboot the server but when we do we have to enable like 20 shared folders.

Any idea what might be preventing this or how to prevent it?

Is the server service running? It's what's responsible for recreating shares when a server is booted. If it's running into a problem during startup, that could be the cause.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

thanks for the reply

yes, the service is started and set to automatic. the only service error in the system log is WinRM Id 10119 which has to do with something.

I am also wondering if the iscsi is not starting up before the server and therfore the shares not loading.

The odd thing is (which I dont know if it's normal), all I have to do is enable the share, all the NTFS permissions are there. Shouldnt the NTFS permissions reset if the share permissions taken off.

So now I am thinking if it's an iscsi issue?!?!

thanks 58sniper for helping me think this through...

it was definitely the iscsi initiator failing to initialize on time.

here's the kb from ms in respect to the issue:

problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back