Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network share deleted items

Status
Not open for further replies.

lardum

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2000
SE
Whenever a user deletes a file in a network share it's being deleted permanently.

Anyone have any recommendations for software you can use to easily restore these files/folders? I don't want to restore previous items, i need this for future use.

Also, anyone have any tips on logging for who deleted files or folders?

There is an archiving solution that should let you do this. Mimosa's NearPoint now has File System Archiving (FSA).

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Setup 'shadow copy' on the server volume and install the 'previous versions' client on the PCs.

It is NOT a substitute for backups ... a lot easier to restore deleted / changed files. The file does need to have existed long enough to be shadowed ... but it will cover the majority of instances.

JB.

You can also try Diskeeper's Undelete tool. They have a free trial available for download

Second Itsp1965...

Executive Software's (Diskeeper)Undelete....worth every penny, then some.. have it on all my client's major servers.

You can recover files deleted instantly, recover multiple revisions. Server console and "pushed" Wks applet install if desired, users can be authorized to recover files if permitted. Deletions show date, the deleter etc. Space used by the recovery bin can be managed as to which drives they are on and min/max size, you can exclude flies to be saved such as tmp files. Unlike shadow copy, if it is delete, it is in the recovery bin a few seconds after deletion. Minimal cpu overhead. Lately in one Law client's office, paid for itself in one file recovery. Easy to use, Great util

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back