Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

marzy1

Technical User
Oct 17, 2002
GB
I am a relative newbie to setting up networks, what I would like to know is how I would go about setting up a particular network.
Heres the scenario:

1 building(probably around 10-12 desktop pc's)
2 need an internet connection using DSL.

What I would like to know is:

How many servers
What type of backup(a considering that there is no one full time on site to administer the system)
What equiptment I would use(things like hubs, switches, routers)which of these would I need and why.
what about connecting to the internet, what equiptment for that would I need.
security, things like amtivirus and firewalls(hardware or software ones)

If you know of any documents that go through setting up networks and what equiptment is need for the purpose of what you are setting up.

All help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

You need to be a little more specific about your requirements for a network. Is it just to share files, printers and an internet connection? Will you be running a server based database? You say 10-12 PC's, how many individual users are there?

It sounds like your on the right tracks hardware wise though. I get the impression that cost be a driving issue here?

You can get a DSL router with a built in switch, firewall and print server. Try Netgear or D-Link. They build some fairly versatile kit.

If it is basic file and print sharing on your network, 1 server would probably suffice. It could store all of your users data so that it would get backed up each night, and it could store their profile settings (each users unique settings). This would allow users to log on at different PC's while not having the hassle of configuring Windows to their liking each time. I personally use IBM X-Series servers. Make sure that your server is RAID 5 capable. This offers maximum disk fault-tolerance for a single server solution.

With regard to backup systems, you get what you pay for. Windows 2000 server has a built in backup program which can be scheduled to backup whenever it suits you. Every night is good. DDS4 tapes offer relatively cheap backup costs with basic capacity (20 to 40Gb). You cant go far wrong with DLT with capacities up to 200Gb, but they are considerably more in cost for the drives and tapes. Your server supplier could advise you as to costs.

As regards to software, stick to Windows 2000 on desktops and server. Use something like Sophos AntiVirus or Symantec Corporate Anti Virus. For email, we use IpSwitch Imail. It is really easy to setup and quite cheap too.

Apart from that, good luck!

Thanks for the reply its really helpfull.

the network will have a centralized database.

I do plan to stick to windows server and desktops.
As I asked about what equiptment would I need what would that be.

I am never quite sure about connection all the systems to the internet, do I need specialized equiptment ie router or would a switch surfice.

and would you recommend a hardware firewall?

As you said money is a concern and needs to be taken into consideration.

Anyway thanks for all of your help.

Information allways welcome.

Lee

Recommending equipment is always a dangerous pastime!

Try this for size though:

To connect to the internet, use a DSL router with built in firewall. try or
You will need a switch to expand the number of ports available on your network. Netgear and DLink can provide these. I use 3com. They do the OfficeConnect range which may be suitable. There is a DSL Router with built in firewall in that range too -
As an explanation, the router is what gets your network internet connected. You plug the router into your switch. That way, all of your network connected PC's can access the router, thus getting a net connection. You will need to tell your PCs or DHCP server where the router is on your IP network so that can make use of it though. You need to get yourself an ISP if you dont have one already. Decide whether you need a static IP address on the net, or whether a dynamic one would suffice. Static allows you to host your own email server and web server should you need to because your IP address never changes.

You definetely need a firewall, especially if you are going to use broadband which is a 24/7 connection. I think that hardware ones are better than software. They are more maintenance free than one on a PC somewhere. By incorporating the router and firewall into 1 box, you save money, time and hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back