Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NETWORK SETUP WIZARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfguerra

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2003
US
I have a desktop running XP and a laptop running Windows 98. They are both connected to the internet through a hub. I am settin up the machines for home networking through the Microsoft Network Setup Wizard. I created a Network Setup Disk under XP to use on my 98 laptop.

Here's my problem. The laptop was given to me by an organization that doesn't need it anymore (in fact, they in turn had received it through another company that was thinkingof getting rid of the machine). Because of this, I don't have the original Windows 98 CD-ROM.

When I run the Network Setup Disk on the laptop, it asks me (at some point in the process) for the Windows 98 CD-ROM. Is there anyway around this? Thanks!

find out if it has win98 or win98SE (second edition)
on the older windows (ie.95,98) every time you install something related to the system, it will ask for teh CD there is no way to get around it,

do you have anybody you can borrow a win98 CD ? you need all the CAB files on it (if you have to CD, search for the files by type in " *.cab " without the quote) that will search everything with the CAB extension

if you don't have any source for the CD, you may want to try to buy one from some place would see old CDs

Well if the laptop has had networking on it before u should be able to search for the files the setup is asking for. They are normally located under c:\windows\system32
c:\windows and c:\windows\system you can also have a look here c:\windows\options\cabs
I.T Systems Support Engineer
Bsc. (Hons).

Thanks for your help! I found the files and the setup finished. WHen I click on Network Neighborhood on the laptop I can see both the laptop as well as my XP machine. However, when I click on the desktop icon on the 98 machine, it does not recognize it. Also, when I click on the "My Network Places" on XP machine, the laptop machine does not show up.

Thoughts?

did you installed Microsoft file printer sharing in your local area network property ? (ie. right clieck the my network place, go to the property of the local area network)

and also make sure you have at the same workgroup/domain if you haven't check already

I did a few more changes and it did work...once. Here's what happene(this is a long message so I apologize).

After I made changes to both the XP desktop (I enabled NETBIOS over TCP/IP) and the WIndows 98 laptop (I re-configured home networking), both machines were able to see each other. As a test, I also printed from the laptop to a printer that is connected directly to the XP machone via a parallel port and it worked!

I then powered down the laptop, double clicked on "Network Neighborhood" and did not see the XP machine (or the laptop machine which used to appear on that window as well). My XP machine seems to be working fine. In fact, I powered down the XP machine, powered it back on, and it recognized the WIndows 98 laptop.

I then went to the Network Troubleshooter on the laptop. It didn't give me anything helpful except for the following: one of the things it said I needed to do was to go to the Network properties, click on "Client for Microsoft Network" properties, and click on "Log on to Windows NT domain".

Since I am running only a home network hooked up to a dumb hub, do I need to click on "Log on to Windows NT domain"? If so, what WIndows NTY domain do I give it? The workgroup name or is that something different?

Sorry to the long message!

that options is if you have another computer running windows nt server (they called it domain) basically a kind of network setup for 10 or more computers, if you have a home network, the setup you have is good now

CAREEMIND2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back