Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cogen

Programmer
Feb 12, 2003
CA
Does anyone know why when connecting to the internet via a dialup account I would get the message "You may need to change your network settings"? Sometimes when I dialup, it works perfectly, but other times I get that error.

When you get The Page Cannot be Displayed error it can mean a number of things. The site your trying to reach could be having issues. You may have lost your connection and need to dial up again. You may have a firewall that is acting up and blocking the site, Chances are you are not connected even though the PC may say your connected. when it happens you could try pinging the site and see if you get replies from it.

Thanks for the reply Prinny, but I am not getting the Page cannot be displayed error. It doesn't have anything to do with a specific website, because I'm not even getting connected to the internet. The error I'm getting is a dialog box popup that says "You may need to change your network settings". I don't have IE set to automatically open upon connection, therefore it's probably not IE that's showing the dialog box. It's windows dialup networking.
Normally I might try something like pinging, but there's no use in this situation, because I'm 100% certain that the connection is never made. Unfortunately I don't have a firewall either.
Have you ever seen that type of error message?

hi

do you have a static ip setup in your tcp ip > dialup adapter setting

Sounds like an issue with dial up networking. I would un-install / re-install it.

Once the issue is resolved you'd be foolish to use the internet connection without a firewall - get one now!

Try ZoneAlarm. Its free for personal use, and darn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back