Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutter16

Technical User
Oct 28, 2002
GB
Hello,

Im trying to setup a home network on two machines with WindowsXP, both have NetGear ethernet cards although my motherboard has an onboard lan and 1394 port so XP tries to bridge them.

We have both been through the network setup wizard entering exactly the same details (although I choose not to bridge connections on my machine), but the network does not recognise the other machine. I cannot ping either the other username or the IP address.

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers,

N.

is it just a 2 machine network, with no shared internet connection? If so, have you supplied both machines with an IP address? (you say you can't ping username? - you don't normally ping usernames - or IP address, so does that mean you have set them up with one each eg in the 192.168.0.1-254 range, subnet 255.255.255.0). If you type ipconfig at a command prompt, what values are returned?

Yes its just a two machine network with no internet connection sharing. When I double click on the connection and look at the IP address I think it says something like "Automatic Private IP Address" although I will have to check when I get in.

If I use IPconfig from the command prompt I get the same IP address as listed in the connection box.

Do I need to set up the subnet parts manually or anything like that? I was under the impression that the Network Setup wizard in XP would handle everything (foolish assumption I know ;-))

Thanks,

N.

I never use M$ wizards (have read too many times, 'I ran the wizards as instructed.... then it didn't work) if at all possible. You will need to supply each machine with an IP address/subnet. If you right click on the local area connection icon and select properties, then click on tcp/ip icon and select properties you'll get a window where you can enter DNS & IP address. Click on 'Use the following IP address' button, then type IP address & subnet in the boxes - eg 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 on machine 1 & 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 on machine 2. You will also need to share at least one resource (drive, folder, printer) on each machine - ignore the default admin shares like C$ - you need to set up your own personal ones.

If this is a two machine link with no hub or switch involved, then you need a cross-over cable. This is simply a cat 5 cable with a type 568A orientation on one end and a type 568B orientation at the other.

Hi,

Walter349 yes its a two machine direct link setup - we've got a standard LAN patch cable (RJ45 I think) with a small crossover section of lead attached to one end. We know this setup works because we've used it in the past (on a previous incarnation of my PC!)

Wolluf Ive set up my machine to b 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 and the other one to 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 as you suggested. I have also gone into the "computer name" tab in the properties section of "My computer" and made sure both machines are on the same workgroup. Is there anything else I need to setup (I agree with you about the M$ wizards btw!)

Both machines know when the other's cable is unplugged but if you open the icon from the network connection my machine is sending bytes of data but receiving none and vice-versa for the other one!

Thanks,

Can you do an IPCONFIG /all and let us see the results.

Ive just run IPCONFIG /all now and the results are pasted below

As normal, the LAN connection knows the other pc is switched on but I cant see any of the shared folders on that pc

Thanks

IPCONFIG /all:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Nath>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NLC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter NetGear Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-F4-57-FF-F3
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter Freeserve AnyTime:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.76.155.207
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 81.76.155.207
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 195.92.195.95
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

It looks as if you don't have IP forwarding switched on on both machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back