Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxfish2

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
US
Is there a single file, that contains all network parameters under Solaris 8?

i.e. IP address, Default Gateway, Broadcast address, Network address, Netmask...

If not, how can I reset these values?

I am especially concerned about the default Gateway...

Is there a GUI interface "tool", that will allow the manipulation of network settings?

/etc/defaultrouter defines your gateway

sys-unconfig will reset your system configuration

OK... So, sys-unconfig resets the system configuration...

It also halts the system...

After halting the system, what command or commands do I need to run, to reconfigure the system?

TIA

Joe

Reboot the system after running sys-unconfig. After the reboot, the system will prompt you for the new configuration information.

StickyBit.

I rebooted the system.

I re-configured the networking parameters.

The system still doesn't prompt for a default gateway.

Because the system tries to use the IP address of the local machine as the default gateway, the system can't resolve DNS entries, or browse the internet.

I can ping, and I can FTP, but I can't use the web browser.

The Solaris man page "syntax entries" are plentiful, but practical examples are sorely lacking.

I want to remove ALL references to the local gateway address, and insert the proper gateway address in it's place.

I ran some of the following commands, attempting to re-configure the gateway:

route -f add -net xxx.xxx.xxx.224 xxx.xxx.xxx.225
# Where 224 is the proper network address, and 225 is the proper gateway address.

route -f change -net xxx.xxx.xxx.224 xxx.xxx.xxx.225
# Where 224 is the proper network address, and 225 is the proper gateway address.

route -f delete -net xxx.xxx.xxx.224 xxx.xxx.xxx.231
# Where 231 is the IP address of the local system.

After running the route add and route change commands, my network was up, but internet browsing still unreachable. (I believe the browser isn't working, because the system is still trying to route through the local machines IP address.)

I ran the route delete command, to get rid of the bogus local gateway.

After running the route delete command, my network is down, and un-reachable...

Time for another sys-unconfig...

-------

If the local machines address is NOT supposed to be my gateway address, what is the proper command or commands to make it see the proper gateway?

By the way... The /etc/defaultrouter file is totally useless...

I've tried setting this file numerous times in the past, and it has NEVER initialized the gateway...

Why can't SUN prompt for a default gateway, like everyone else does, during the install? (HP-UX does, SuSE Linux does, Windows does, even RedHat does in it's latest versions... Although it used to follow the Solaris model...)

Check the permissions on the defaultrouter file. My solaris 8 reads it fine.

did you try "route add default"?

Thanks...

The man pages don't indicate that it's that easy...

I still don't understand why Sun can't prompt for a default gateway during installation...

Have a great day...

Joe

I always manually do the defaultrouter... I haven't had a sys-unconfig ever set that up for me. A sys-unconfig usually plays with:

nodename
hostname.????
hosts
netmasks

also, if you can ping your local network, than chances are the defaultrouter is not your problem (most of the time). The defaultrouter file defines the route out of the local network.
Jarod, The Lab Guy
[morning]

The default router has been the problem for me, several previous times...

I was able to ping and ftp to other machines on my subnet, but only those machines that were defined in my /etc/hosts file...

The default gateway / router was the key to external DNS lookups...

Without it being set properly, external hosts couldn't resolve...

Joe

have you verified the info in /etc/resolv.conf Jarod, The Lab Guy
[morning]

Yes!

All other network settings are just fine...

Hmm....

Did you try traceroute and see if things are going to the right route??

Since, /etc/resolv.conf is correct, nslookup should work right??

Also, can your browser getting out by IP address instead??

BTW, /etc/rc2.d/S69inet add the defaultrouter when start up.

No... Just because resolv.conf is correct, doesn't mean that nslookup should work...

If your gateway is incorrect, it's like trying to call the Telephone company, to get information about your garbage bill...

Or, a better example... It'd like telling John to pass a message on to Bill, when John doesn't know who Bill is... Tony knows Bill... Therefore the request should have been made to Tony... Even if you gave John Bills phone number and address... John might feel a little reluctant to query Bill, as he doesn't know him...

I know, I have a good imagination... ;^))

Anyway, after setting the default gateway, using the route add command, everything is working fine, so I really don't want to test various theories further...

Suffice it to say that everything is working fine now, and I only ran the one, single command to make it so...

Thanks for all of the input, and have a great weekend...

Joe

PS... I do have some other questions, but they belong in another thread...

Here you go, try this one:

/etc/nsswitch.dns

Jarod, The Lab Guy
[morning]

nsswitch.conf is set correctly, and has been set correctly.

Again, everything is working fine now, and the only thing that was changed, was the default gateway...

route add default xxx.xxx.xxx.225

Nothing else was needed to make it work...

However, all of the settings that I had entered during the initial installation were removed during the installation, because the system didn't know what to do with the default gateway being set to the local machine!

I had to manually re-enter the data for each of the following files:

/etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/hosts

Anyway... The system is now working... We can close this issue, unless someone wants to take up the issue of the default gateway being improperly set during initial installation...

As someone else noted earlier, this issue has already been addressed, and fixed under Solaris 9...

TIA

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back