Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Set up 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenred

Technical User
Aug 16, 2001
GB
Probably a silly question, but here goes, we have taken over a company and want to integrate them into our existing network.

We use an IP 192.168.xxx.xxx range and they use 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range, they would prefer not to change their scheme. My question is, is this possible ?, and if so presumably something we need to set up on our DNS server or routers. Have searched and can find nothing that says it is, but also nothing that says it isnt.

Apologies if the question is Dumb

not a dumb question at all... yes it is possible. if you want to 'share' networks I would recommend a point to point VPN that way, your 192.168 address will allow networking withe 10 network and vice versa

How are you two connected now? Are they using a routing protocol?

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Thanks for the replies

North323 We want them to join our Windows Domain, and still keep their IP Scheme, would a point to point still allow this?

burtsbees in answer to your question, we are not connected at the moment it is something that has to be done soon so my next step is to get it set up. We both use CISCO routers so i'm guessing a point to point connection will have to be set up on these.

Sorry to be ignorant but what do you mean by routing protocol? guess you mean IPSEC or something similar. That will to be set up on the routers I think.

Once again thanks for the replies

Ken

routing protocal is like OSPF, EIGRP, or BGP (google for more info). If you want them to join your domain, an IPSEC point to point tunnel would work fine

North323

Will google the routing protocols thanks for the pointer.

So IPSEC point to point will work fine, thats cool - people here will be happy. Next job setting up the point to point.

Have a star

Cheers

Ken

thanks...any help with the point to point...just post

Both networks can coexist and function without issue. However, you will need to tell each network about the other. This can be done dynamically or statically.

Will the newly acquired company use their existing firewall to access the Internet, or will you have them traverse your network and use you firewall?

As for the DNS server…
A DNS server is managed by domain names and not IP addresses. For example: [nuts.machine.com] could have an IP address of 10.60.27.2., while [bolts.machine.com] could have an address of 192.168.15.2. Remember that a DNS server is just a database that could physically reside anywhere in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back