Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network server password

Status
Not open for further replies.

outhere

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2001
CA
Problem:
The server sees all other PC's and can access drives shared.
The win98 machines see all other pc's and server and can access their drives but not on the server. when double clicking the server message pops up....
"you must supply a password to make this connection"
\\dis\IPC$
dis is the name of the server
There is no password set for this drive.
I tried all my passwords that i use regularly within the win2000 (ex logon)
The drive is shared, mind you there is no little hand on the c drive its self (weird my cd rom drives and floppy do)

Hope my situation is clear...please let me know what I forgot to do...

Thanks Josh Maxwell
Discover Computers
CTO/MIS - (self-taught)
discover_computers@hotmail.com
DirectLine-514.595.6024

Yeah, I've had that popup on my screen too. It's a remote share, and I think windows 2000 makes you provide logon information just because W2k likes to authenticate everything. Your administrative password should work. You might try resetting the password for that share. Sorry that's all the help in can be.
Snowman

If the server is NT, then it's an issue that NT wants to see a domain authenication.. where as 95,98, ME all use workgroups by default...

if its a 2K box then guest account is disabled by default.

MikeS Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

If all the PC's are in the same workgroup, add a user account to the NT server and set the NTFS file share rights to what you need. Use the user id you created to logon to the 95/98/me stations. You need to authenticate to the NT box and when 95/98/ME passes your user id to NT if the id does not exist in NT it will fail.

Or then you could of course enable the quest account on your server, however I don't personally fancy that idea.

If you do enable quest-account, you propably want to set your server's security settings so, that quest account can't log on locally.

-tapio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back