Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV1611

Technical User
Sep 5, 2003
US
I need to find a free program that is very well written that I can use to evaluate the security on my Network. Also I need a program that I can use to find problems on my network ranging from Bad cable to bad cards and even bad ports on my Switch.

What Can I use also to hack my own network to test security?

Thanks, AV

Finding bad cables and cards with a tester would be an expensive Fluke device - unless you mean software that will alert me if a log sees an indicative sign of hardware failure -

For watching security - I would agree with the others that Nessus - which is a frontend for nmap - you can scan your network for known vulnerabilites with this
Squil - Frontend for Snort - This will keep an active eye on packets flowing to and through your network - run one sensor outside, and one inside to get the best picture.

Ntop - is also a nice tool to show you the meat of whats going on in your network -

Swatch - this will monitor log files and do stuff when it matches a pattern -

You might want to look into the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer, it's free and tells you a lot about a computer.

Network hardware analysis isn't going to be cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back