Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network regions missunderstood :) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozlik

IS-IT--Management
May 5, 2022
CZ
Hi guys,
I'm not able to process this question from ACDS..Can someone simply explain if there is exactly one right answer please?
I'm still learning Avaya stuff and I'm a bit confused about these regions. In my opinion all choices are possible in theire way, just D does not make too much sense to me..

You are designing a Communication Manager (CM) 8 solution with centralized ISDN trunks at the main site and two remote gateway locations. Each remote location will be connected to the main server via dedicated, point-to-point WAN service. Main - CM 8.1 duplex pair with 2-G450s and 250 IP stations Remote 1 - S8300E LSP/G450 with 125 IP stations Remote 2 - S8300E LSP/G430 with 30 IP stations. To ensure that no one site Is overwhelmed by CM traffic, what is the recommended number of network regions required for this design?
(A). 7 regions: 1 at the main, 1 at each remote site, 1 for each site's IP telephones, and one for the virtual network region
(B). 4 regions: 1 at the main, 1 at each remote site, and 1 for the virtual network region
(C). 3 regions: 1 at the main, and 1 at each remote site
(D). 6 regions: 1 at the main, 1 at each remote site, and 1 virtual network region for each site

Thanks a lot in advance.

You should have a single virtual region, so C and D are out.

I'm inclined to answer A instead of B.

For whatever reason, let's pretend you run out of DSP at a remote site. Pretend a user at that remote site wants to conference in another user from the same remote site. Because you only have point to point WAN, the closest DSP is in the main site and not the other remote site.

Pretend NR 250 is for procr
10,20,30 for the gateways at sites 1,2,3
11,21,31 for the phones at sites 1,2,3
11 would be direct to 10
21 would be direct to 20
31 would be direct to 30

10,20,30 would each be direct to procr - that's where you'd put in the bandwidth limites
11 would be indirect to 250 through 10
21 would be indirect to 250 through 20
31 would be indirect to 250 through 30

11 would be indirect to 21 and 31 through 10 and 250
21 would be indirect to 11 and 31 through 20 and 250
31 would be indirect to 11 and 21 through 30 and 250

That setup would allow site 3 to use site 3's DSPs and then the main site - site 1's, and then site 2's.

If you did it as 4 network regions, once site 3 was out, it would consider sites 1 and 2 to be equidistant. For example, in B, if site 3 was out of DSPs and site 3 user Alice called site 3 user Bob and conference in site 3 user Charlie, it would round-robin available DSPs across equidistant network regions. So, if Alice, Bob and Charlie in site 3 did a conference, it could end up on site 1's DSP, but if Agnes, Barry and Cal at site 3 did the same thing a minute later, it'd pull DSP from site 2.

I think the crux of the question is the "point to point WAN at the main site". "Each remote location will be connected to the main server via dedicated, point-to-point WAN service" What they didn't say is that Each remote location will be connected to EACH OTHER via dedicated, point-to-point WAN service".

Hi Kyle555,

thanks for the quick response and for shedding some light on the problem.
Today is the test day, so wish me luck pls. Still confused but less the than befor :)

Anyway Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. [santa]

You can also search on the support site for a document called 'Best Practice Recommendations for Network Regions’. That document explains a lot and that’s how we do it!

Freelance Certified Avaya Aura Engineer

Hi,
I passed 77%

Thanks again, the question was really there. :D I picked A, just don't know if it was right :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back