Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network read failed(42)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tddp

Technical User
May 4, 2004
CA
Has anyone come across this error message network read failed(42)? The particular client was working then after we moved the master server to a different location the client started to fail; however all the other clients are still backing up.

Yes media server is in the master list properties.

Environment
Master NB5.1 MP4
Media server/clients NB5.1 MP4 with HP SSL1016 autoloader attached

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Is there a firewall in the middle now or any anti-virus running when the backup kicks off?

No firewall and anti-virus is always active. What I did for the time being was to add IP entries into the host file on both the server side and client side. The backup is now working but this is only a temporary solution.

Thanks

this means that your DNS is not functioning properly. Is this a duel-homed server?

Yes it is and we are having that looked into by the DNS admins.

While they are doing that, may I suggest you follow this technote? It may open your eyes to what is happening.

How to verify name resolution for Veritas NetBackup (tm) systems, using the "bpclntcmd" command

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

Hi

I had this exact error last week and it took almost a week to isolate the problem. The Server that we were getting the error 42 on had been rebuilt a week earlier and the Nic card was set to Auto. I had comms check for errors on their switch and sure enought some errors were being logged. I hard set the NIc to 100 Full duplex (Same as the switch) and kicked off teh backup job and it went thru for the first time. I am not saying that your Nic card is set wrong, but anything that gives you bad communication will result in an error 42. Check Nic\Patch leads patching the lot and see how you go.

Regards

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back