Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Proglem..HELP Wanted!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AsdfBlah

Programmer
Feb 21, 2001
US
Im a newbie at this stuff so bair with me....Im having a network problem....Im running a 486(the old computers not 486MHz) and i have windows 98 on it and that runs fine. My network is not working but my hub light is on(the port im connected to)I cannot connect to the internet, we have a firewall but i was told that it wouldn't affect my networking, i cannot see myself or other people on the network. My Network Card is a "3com Etherlink III MC (3C529) Twisted-Pair/AUI" Im using a cat5 cable with RJ45 ends. I know the cable works because i've tested it on other computers. I have Client Microsoft Network, IPX/SPX, TCP/IP, and of course the adapter 3com Etherlink III MC (3C529) Twisted-Pair/AUI installed. If anyone has any suggestions (or ways i could fix it)on my problem then pleeezzzz let me know.

Thanx

AsdfBlah

Not familiar with that particular card, but 3Com combo cards (particularly the older ones) had some software that allowed you to interrogate the card manually. Used to be called etherdisk I think.

Try the 3com site for it and boot to DOS and check the card - you will probably find that the card is set to network via the AUI port only.

Go to start--run and hit enter. Type "winipcfg" and check to see if you have an ip address. If you do, go do the command prompt and try to ping your loopback address...127.0.0.1. If that works try to ping yourself and then your gateway or dns server. Check to see if any of these return any errors. This should give you some idea as to what is wrong...post any errors you get here.

Make sure that your all on the same workgroup as well.

you can try to reistall the network card, and check before
if is irq in conflic with other device.

can also ping your own address, this will chech your connectivity to the hub and back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back