Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwilko

Technical User
Feb 20, 2002
GB
I have I problem with Networking 2 PC's
On one pc I installed I belkin network card on the other one I am useing the onboard LAN Port both PC's are conected using Belkin Network HUB
The PC with the Network card is runing Win ME
The PC with onboard LAN is Runing Win XP
When I try to setup the network the computers wont see each other

Can Anyone Help Me ________________________________________
I help Where I can

Have you added "File & Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" in Control Panel>>Networks? Then right click on the files you want to share and click on "Sharing".. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [idea]

Can u be a little more specific.
1)Have u got cross-over or patch cables running to the hub??
2)Which protocals have u got running IPX wont get on well with XP so use TCP/IP.
3)Do they have the same network work group or domain
4)HAve tried connecting the 2 pcs directly together
5)Are u sure the network cards both work? have u got a way of testing them?
6)do you use either net to connect to the net or do u dial up?
7)Are these the only pcs that are connected or are going to be connected together using the hub?

Let know me know if you`ve already tried these ill get some more ideas for you

I am Using a HUB
I use to have a Win 98 and the Win ME working on the network the I bought a New Win XP Computer And got Rid of the Win 98 Computer and I tryed to Network the XP computer to the Win Me computer and it's not working I have installed Belkin SOHO Network sofware on both computers and it still wont work

all of the cables and the HUB are the same the only diffrents is On the Win XP Computer that Has ONboard LAN on the MB where as the Other Computers had Network Cards ________________________________________
I help Where I can

Here are just some quick things to check:

1) Do both pc's have TCP/IP configured similarly, each having different IP addresses? If you use DHCP, don't worry about the IP address, just make sure all protocols are present.

2) Do both pc's have "File and Print Sharing" installed/enabled? If so, make sure one of the pc's are sharing something.

3) Take a look at IP settings on the Win98 PC (type winipcfg under Start->Run) and on the XP pc (go to an MS-DOS prompt and type ipconfig /all). Make sure both have different IP's and are part of the same subnet mask.

4) Go to Start->Run and type \\computername where computername is the name of the computer you are trying to access.

Did any of that work? ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

You may also want to add netBEUI protocol. Check to make sure the "workgroup" under the identification tab of network is the same on both computers. Then go to your desktop and check out the network neighborhood. You should see the other computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back