Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

cms2616

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2001
US
i have a pc running windows 98se and eerytime i try to double click on network neighborhood, it takes a long time to search for the other pc's. the flash light comes on but eventually it recognizes the network...

What kind of network is it? Is it a Windows NT? Linux? Windows 2k? Novell? Most of the time, it does take a bit because it has to retrieve all the sever and client names that have acessible volumes/shares.

What is the speed of your network? If it is 10BaseT, you might want to condsider 100BaseT. If you have 100BaseT, how many computers are on the same network? Do you use switches rathar than hubs?

There are many, many factors to consider. Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

"I am bad at math because God forgot to include math.h into my programming!"

Please let us (Tek-Tips members) know if the solutions I provide are helpful to you. Not only do my posts help you but they may help others.

in response toyour questions, i am running a basic windows 98 peer to peer network, 4 pcs in all. they all run using netbeui and the one that has this problem is the one running ICS for internet sharing...any other questions please let mw know to see if we can get this fixed..thank you for your itme...

alex

Peer to peer is fine as long as you have the proper patch cables..If you are using a hub and the Network still takes time to validate then more than likely you need to make sure all Network settings on all pC's are reinstalled and IDENTICAL. Then reboot them.

I've done setup and repair work for many businesses in the community, and everyone takes a long time to detect the network, it's pretty much commonplace. Only once in a while will a computer immediately show which computers are connected.

It's just something that is going to happen. If you know the computer name your connecting to, try going into the start menu --> find --> computer, and search that way, it's faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back