Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network problems, Windows Server and XP clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

mthoene

IS-IT--Management
Nov 26, 2002
US
Here's the layout...
-Windows 2000 Server, acting as the PDC, running AD
-11 Windows XP Pro clients
-Clients all logon to the domain and share files on the "F" drive which is just a shared folder on the server that is mapped at each client

Problem: Random logon delays and lost shared printers. Some clients can logon/logoff of the domain without problems, others will have to wait for up to two minutes before getting through logon and to their desktops. Also, a printer shared on one of the clients will be accessible at times, then will stop working at other times, unable to work again until removed and reinstalled by the clients.

Client DNS is statically entered and is the DNS of the ISP.

Any help is appreciated! Let me know if you need more info. Thanks.

1. Are there any events in the event logs that point towards connectivity issues on the clients?

2. Have you left Netbios/TCP enabled as it is not required for a Native Win2k Network

3. Are you getting packet drops on a constant ping test?

4. The clients that have log-in issues, are they always the same clients?

5. What other services are running (Network) on the server? Adrian Jordan
MCSE,CCNA,CCA

Thanks for the quick reply..

1. The only event I'm seeing is the W32Time warning (event ID 64). Not sure if this could be it.

2. It is disabled.

3. Ping tests are ok.

4. Not always the same clients.

5. No other services are running. Clients are statically assigned IP's.

I realize it's not needed, but what happens if you add a hosts and lmhosts file to the worst offender and see what happens. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

Not sure...I'll give it a try.

Thanks Glen.

-Matt

Question, you state the DNS addresses are statically entered on the clients machines, which is the ISP's DNS Server. If this is correct, then this is why the logons may be causing problems. If you point your clients to your DNS server on the W2k server and then use DNS on W2K to forward internet requests your problems should go away. Are you using DHCP to assign IP addresses, gateways, DNS and WINS?

Pilot1,

I did think of this at one point but there are about 6 or 7 users who can login immediately with no delays.

DHCP is not being used. I've statically assigned IP's for all users.

Pilot1 is correct - you must use internal dns as your primary. run "ipconfig /all" on the clients and compare. You could also put a domain entry in the lmhosts file, but I would make the primary dns, your internal dns server and if you would like, you can make your isp's dns secondary.

Try it - it should fix your issues.

They are absolutely correct. You need to make you internal dns server the primary. Then you can go in the setup of you server and setup forwarders to your isp's dns servers ! CCIE,MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);MCNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA

mrwalsh1/NobleMan,

Two quick questions...would this also solve the shared printer issue from my original question? Also, I am weak when it comes to setting up DNS on Win2K server. Can you point me to a url that gives a good explanation on how to do a "forwarder"?

Thanks!

Do you have Active Directory setup on your server?

Pilot1,

Active Directory = yes.

DNS should have been set up automatically then. Open up the DNS tool in the Administrative Menu. Right mouse click on your DNS Server and select properties. There will be a Forwarders Tab, enter the DNS server addresses of your ISP here. Then point all client workstations to your Win2K server as the primary DNS Server. Give it a try and see how things go now.

Maybe I can offer a shortcut. With such a small network, I think skipping DDNS, DHCP, Wins and all the other large network bloat is easy. You need to edit your hosts file and create a lmhosts file. These files go in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\"

Server IP = 1.2.3.4
Server full name = server.smallbiz.myisp.com
Win2000 Domain = SMALLBIZ

HOSTS should already exist. Simply add 2 lines:

1.2.3.4 server
1.2.3.4 server.smallbiz.myisp.com

Copy LMHOSTS.SAM (sample) to LMHOSTS then add this line:
1.2.3.4 SERVER #PRE #DOM:SMALLBIZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor