Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

keenanbr

Programmer
Oct 3, 2001
IE
SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 Rel 3.2

I get the following error:

rwalld: couldn't register WALLPROG
svc_rpc_register: error
statd: unable to register ufp service, exit.
WARNING: portmapper on server 192.168.1.38 is not responding

I have checked just about everything I can think of. ifconfig -a shows that everything is running normally. The lights are on on the network connections. When I disconnect/connect the network cable the system recognises. I cannot even ping localhost. All other machines on the network are working. Can anyone suggest anything?

If you can't ping localhost then your TCP/IP stack is broken.
Try to use netconfig, verify that your lan card is properly recognized, remove the TCP/IP protocol and recreate them.
You can also take a look at the result of the hwconfig -h command to ensure that the NIC driver is properly loaded at boot stage.

Hope This Help
PH.

Have you changed the IP of the machine lately? If so make sure the entry in /etc/hosts is correct for your system, netconfig does not update the hosts file when an IP is changed.

-Aseidas

The strange thing is is that i can rlogin from another machine, although it takes a very long time. I will try removing tcp protocol and re-installing.

Thanks for the suggestion

If your remote logins take a long time you may have a reverse lookup problem, either an invalid dns entry or trying to resolve local hosts though bind, add
hostresorder local bind
to your /etc/resolv.conf file and verify entries for local machines in /etc/hosts.

-Aseidas

Make sure there are no duplicate entries in /etc/hosts.
(netconfig updates for the new ip but does not remove the old one)

Make sure that /etc/resolv.conf is still valid.
(this is usually why a telnet or rlogin session takes a while to initiate, the host system is trying to resolve the name for the ip of the client).

keenanbr - Did reinstalling the TCP stack work? I'm having a very similar problem - I cannot ping the SCO box from anywhere, but I can telnet into it albeit with significant delay.
-Steve

Reading the above, reminded me of similar problem which I encountered recently in which our SCO server running Openserver Enterprise 5.0.4 we had to reinstall our os because of a PANIC and Double PANIC.

Anyway our machine has a 3Com 3C905C-TX-M NIC and after reinstalling the OS and then adding service pack rs504c and then installing the NIC card driver from the 3Com website and then after configuring the NIC to use the driver and setting its IP address etc I could not ping the server from any workstation or ping its loopback address.

What I found that after reinstalling the OS again and then missing out the service pack rs504c and installing the NIC driver and setting its IP address etc, pings then worked.

I ended up leaving off service pack rs504c for the system to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back