Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Problem: NIC: No packets in , No packets out

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenTnel

Technical User
Dec 9, 2003
DO
I'm using Win2003 Server Enterprise on Dell poweredge server. After a sudden crash, caused by human error I needed to format and reinstall the OS; afterwards I was supposed to restore previously backed up data using Microsoft Backup (comes with any windows).
After couple of hours did everything, and it looked good.... until... I discovered (after the reboot), the ethernet was dead! Now, since I made the restore of programs first (tho' apps didn't work without bringing the registry, but I had network), I got to the conlusion there was something bad when restoring the "system state"; but now comes weirdest part of the problem!

As I enter the SAFE MODE on Win 2003, everything is working properly! I can see other computers, browse the internet, etc... but as soon enter in Windows, normal mode... all the activity is ZERO. I recieve 0 packets, can't communicate with any other computer?!

I really don't undestand what is happening, don't have an idea of what the solution may be, wondering if anybody had the same problem so he could help me out.

Thank you in advance.

I'm thinking it's something simple. We know the card works because it worked in safemode, and the driver is installed as well.

Firewall? Is it turned off? Network settings? Correct subnet mask, DNS settings, and all?

Network settings are ok, subnet mask, DNS settings, etc., seems Ok, Now, how can I verify that the firewall is not working. (I'm not using 3er party firewall, so if there's one it must be windows's)

Thanks again,

Another thing to check is if the connection is enabled. Seeing as you are running a poweredge server, you probably have two NICs. Is the right one plugged in, configured, and enabled?

To enable, in network connections, right click and read the options. Look for either an'Enable' or 'Disable' option, click it and see what happens. If nothing changes, be sure to change it back.

Can you ping the server?

I had a virus that disabled my NIC. Reboot back to safe mode and run a virus check. Maybe run ad-aware too for a complete checkup.

*J*

Hi,

Try replacing the NIC, if it's an on board one, disable it and add a PCI one!

Cheers,
Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back