Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dosdemon

Programmer
Jan 7, 2002
US
Using an NT 4.0 server, I have mapped lpt9 to a remote printer. From the server, I can send a test page to the printer using the printer properties icon. I can also "copy text.txt > lpt9" and the text file text.txt prints. But when I try to print from my Clipper application (Clipper 5.3, Blinker 5.1) using "set printer to lpt9" and "set device to print" and then a series of "@ say", the print spooler on the NT server alternates between "printing job" and "deleting job" and there is no output on the printer. Any suggestions on getting the printer to work under these conditions would be appreciated.

Hi, DosDemon

AFAIK set printer to only allows LPT1/2/3. Anything else will cause output to a file (LPT9.PRN).

Can you use LPT3 instead? That should work.

Jock

It is always best to create a report file first and then send the entire report to the printer while working under Windows. Piece mealing the report the way you described will only slow down the system as it goes back and forth between your application and the print manager.

Jock: Thanks for the response. I cannot use lpt3 because the plan is to send the output from the server to any of 10 network printers. So in other words, is it true that Clipper cannot print directly to a networked printer?

Elkari: Thanks. I understand what the best way is, but the application prints reports as it creates them - it doesn't write report data to a file. And no, speed is not my problem - only problem is printing to any one of 10 networked printers.

Any other ideas/suggestions, please reply!
Thank you all very much!!!

Look at PageScript on This allows you to interface to Windows printers in ways you never thought possible. Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

You can open a file to '\\server\printershare', or first try to create (output to file). If you can't FCreate (handle = -1) then FOpen, asume it's a printer, then FWrite to this 'file'-handle. Close the 'file' afterward, and printing will start immediately. s-)
This way only the number of shared printers is your limit.

HTH, TonHu

I currently print my 5.2e reports by copying to LPT1. Is there a way to capture my reports into a PDF? All my attempts result in the control characters and line draw characters being printed out as trash when I attempt any method other than COPY xxx LPT1.

Nicholson
Houston

I send all my Clipper reports to LPT3 on a network with 100's of printers. Before spooling I reset the printer with Net use \\server\printer /p:Y ( or Capture on Netware ) to the correct network printer, so you don't need lpt9,10....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back