Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Printing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimmy

MIS
Nov 25, 1999
FR
Hello,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Is there a way of setting network printers up for users without having to sign on as them. It is NT4.<br><br>Thanks.

To my knowledge this can't be done.&nbsp;&nbsp;Printer connections are defined within a user profile. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

Probably it is enough to specify this user as a domain user only. This give the user the possibility to access resources, but not login into the server. <p>hnd<br><a href=mailto:hasso55@yahoo.com>hasso55@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Grimmy, do you have more details as to what you're trying to do? <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

MasterRacker,<br>I am currently building a raft load of machines without the users password so I do this under another ID. So consequently when the user logs on to the P.C he has no network printer settings assigned.<br>We have people who work shifts and multiple users on one machine and this causes phone calls and I have to take them through it and it is very annoying.<br>I am looking for a way of assigning network printers as part of the setup of the machine. <br><br>Hope this explanation is enough.<br><br>Cheers....Grimmy

Well unless there has been a new utility made, this is not possible, however I can try and save you time when you walk them thru. The following scenario is based on a single printer on a print server. If you have more than one printer to choose from, then have them select the correct one.<br><br>Caller- Hello, I dont have access to a printer, can you help?<br><br>Tech- Why of course. Please DBL Click network neighborhood and then DBL Click the Print Server (Machine name that acts as print server). Now DBL Click the printer icon and your all set.<br><br>The end<br><br>This is much faster than the traditional way of adding the printer through the add printer utility :) <p>The Geek<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>Dont be afraid to share what you know. There are no losers in our arena, only self rightous monkeys atop thier own tree.

Im in the same boat as the network administrator above. With a couple of hundred pcs and three or four hundred users who might sign on to any one of the pc's on any given day. I need the printers mapped to the pc and not to the user. It doesnt even seem to make any sense to have the printer mappings attached to users id.. Im trying to phase out our old netware stuff and am in the process of moving jetdirect printers from netware to NT Server.. there's no way we can operate with users having to remap printers every time they change their workstation. Of all the crazy NT stuff Ive run into this has got to be the craziest...

HELP... there has got to be a way to work around this problem....

what about setting up the printer on a logon script which is the same for everyone?

Im looking at the possibility of a logon script solution, but even during the course of one day, we have employees who will logon at widely separated physical locations... Id have to map all 20+ printer locations and make the user pick which one they want any time they log on....

Finally found the answer to this one. You simply have to logon to the local machine as the local administrator. Then browse out to the print server machine in network neighborhood and double click on the network machine. The machine will then ask you to logon to the network machine. Use a domain admin id and logon. Then you go to your add printer and add a local printer, a new local port, when NT asks for a name enter the \\servername\printername for your printer. Click ok and everything should map as usual. I originally though logging on to the local machine was the answer, but i left out the step of logging onto the domain afterwards. If you dont do that step your printer setup wizard cant see the printer and wont let you enter it into the dialog box and continue. Printers set up this way are visible to anyone logging on to that machine after you have it installed.....

bookpuri:

Either that, or, I personally prefer to used TCP/IP printing on all NT networks; it has certain advantages, i.e. it is domain independant (doesn't require autentication), configured on the WS rather, than on the server, and works even if the server is down.

You need to install it locally, though, and have an IP-printing capable printer (pretty much all the printers less than 4 years old, are).

now i hadnt thought about that. I am actually setting each printer up on the NT workstation as a local lpr port to the ip address of the printer. The instructions i found and followed started by installing the printer on a server, but now that you mention it, the local workstation installs should be server independant since they are going straight to a jetdirect card in the printer itself....

that makes it even better....

Look for the freeware utility lprman , this utility lets you add lpr ports to machines remotely. That way if you have to add any later, as long as you have the tcp/ip printer service installed in your image, you can remotely administer all aspects of the printer setup process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back