Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network printing with canon mp800

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomchilton

Technical User
Aug 7, 2006
GB
Hi,
I have a Canon MP800 printer attached to a windows XP machine on my wireless network using a linksys router.
The printer is shared using windows printer sharing.
I am trying to print using my MacBook Pro (Intel) and so far the only way I have managed to print is by using Canon S800 Gimp-print drivers. Whilst this enables me to print, I cannot set any options such as which tray to take paper from, colour or B&W etc etc....

Any ideas how I can get a proper print dialogue?

Cheers
Tom

If canon doesn't make a driver for this printer specifically for your MAC, I think you are stuck. I have a similar set up - only my printer is a Dell laser. I have yet to find any Dell printer driver that will work with my powerbook. Have you talked to/emailed Canon? I have had pretty good luck with different printer mfrs offering alternative drivers for work arounds.

Good luck.

Yeah I think you're right. Got an email back from canon but I don't think they understood what I was asking... Think I'll try again.
Thanks

I too have macbook intel duo, running 10.4.8 and when I print from any application, the output is 1/4 the size it should be. I have tried scaling, reinstalling, etc, etc but cannot remedy the problem.

I have no poblems printing from my other macs (all running 10.3.9) or printing from my Macbook to any other printer.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Tony

*Baracuda, most of the Dell laser printers are OEM from LEXMARK. You might try to see which Lexmark model matches the same Dell model or close to it and try those drivers.

Have you tried the Printer Setup Utility?

*Tonywatts, have you tried using Page Setup in the application you are printing from? Also the setup paramters in Printer Setup Utility, sometimes you have to set the same paramters in both.

....JIM....

Thanks Tim but I had done this too, and that does not work either.

Still frustrated and need a solution.

Tony

I had the same problem. There is no solution from canon, apple or MS of which I am aware. I had to download and install Printfab which has a driver that will work. you get a free trial period so you can see if it works, then it costs about $50.

There is a lot of discussion on various tech boards about this compatibilty issue. For example:

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back